Carers Allowance stopped

For information and discussion about benefits

I have had my carers allowance stopped since last week. They are saying it is because i was self-employed as an Avon representative, i only did it from July last year until now, but i was hardly earning anything more than £20 every 3 weeks and would have to buy brochures and things with my commission anyway.
I am no longer with Avon as i have told my Sales Leader what has happened and do not want to do it anymore, as they told me it will happen every year.
I have also had a letter from HMRC asking me to fill in a self-assessment tax return form. I am very worried about it all, as i sent all my invoices to carers allowance and they have sent them back with a letter saying thank you for my new claim!
What will happen now?
Thank you from Lisa
Dear Lisa

The best suggestion I can make is for your to contact the Carers UK Adviceline team ! They are the experts on all matters related to benefits :)
Need expert advice? You can talk to the Carers UK Adviceline five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.

0808 808 7777
Open Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm

The Carers UK Adviceline also includes a listening service, there for you to talk through your caring situation with a trained volunteer who understands what you are going through. Available Mondays and Tuesdays, from 9am to 7pm.
If you can’t get through on the phones (lines are often oversubscribed) then send them an email, they’ll usually get back to you within 3-5 working days.

In the meantime it might help to read the CUK fact sheet on Carers Allowance ... -allowance
Hi Lisa ... the stoppage maybe as a direct result of not informing the CA unit of your " Change in circumstances " , detailed in the following link :

Case of deja vu ? I was only looking at the guidance therein for a contact off forum ( Food bank related ) around 20 minutes ago !

Almost a classic case of being guilty ( CA stopped ) until proven innocent ( Provide the documentary evidence ).

Only way forward is to follow Susie's advice and contact the Advice Team within Carers UK.
Thank you both for your advice. I will give them a call tomorrow and have a look on there website.
Make sure you understand the definition of profit. I suspect that after admissible expenses are taken into consideration, you didn't make any profit at all. Be sure to look at HMRC's website to find out all about heating and lighting allowances, etc. before filling in any forms. Don't panic. Go through the expenses details carefully. It will be much easier for you if you write down your Avon expenses in the same order as HMRC write them on their tax return. (I ran a small business for 20 years).
If you can remember the figures accurately (did you copy them down anywhere?), both for the money you took (ie, your sales) and the money you spent (ie, your expenses) then that is all HMRC will want to know. We don't have to send in the invoices or antyhign with our tax return.

Speaking personally, I would STRONGLY urge you to use the paper tax return if this is what HMRC has sent you! They are desperately trying to get everyone to go online, but it's SO much easier to do the paper form, as you can see what you are doing as you do it. If you do the paper form it has to be sent in by the end of October - the online form has to be in by the end of January.

Once you've done online, you can't go back, I fear, to paper, which is why I urge you to keep to the paper system!

When you have the form, photocopy it straight away, so you have a 'blank' form, then fill out the copy first. Only fill out the 'master form' once you have done the copy. Ideally, then photocopy the filled out paper form, though this isn't totally necessary.

If you don't make very much, the form should only be four pages anyway (ie a kind of 'two page' A4 'brochure').

You will need your National Insurance number (though this may already be printed on the form by HMRC)

A lot of the form is 'unnecessary' - it will say things about 'deprciation' or 'income from land/pensions/overseas' that kind of thing.

You only need to fill in the bit about 'money you made' (this is the PROFIT you make), and then enter any of the figures for 'expenses'.

Really, that's about it!

If you have any questions, let me know. I fill out a self-employed form every year, and this year's arrived a short while ago with the start of the financial year. (By the way, when it says 'what is the date your annual business year starts' (or words to that effect) simply say '5th APril' - ie, whatever date the form says. My 'business year' follows the 'financial year' - much simpler! )
Hi everyone,

i just wanted to let you know that i still haven't recieved my Carers Allowance back! I have been phoning every 2 weeks and they just keep saying, i will recieve a letter in 2 weeks, but because i'm not that is why i keep phoning.

I had it stopped April 29th this year and still waiting!

The person i spoke to last week, while i was on the phone, sent an email to the person dealing with my case and also put me as urgent, because i am now struggling financially without the extra money from carers allowance.

I know i only recieve it because of my husbands disabilities and i do it whether the carers allowance is there or not, but i just want to know either way.

Thank you for reading :(
Start a notebook diary. Make sure you ask everyone you speak to for their name at the beginning of the conversation, the time, and the date.
At any time during the conversation when you are not happy, just say "Please may I speak to your Line Manager now?". They are not allowed to refuse this request, but some may accidentally disconnect you - that's why you need their name at the beginning. Then get the LM's number, and repeat the process as necessary.
Mention that you are going to contact your MP next week as you can't manage any longer. That usually gets them into action!!!