[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Student, caring, and struggling. - Carers UK Forum

Student, caring, and struggling.

All about money
Hi all,
I'm 19 years old. I study film at university, while I only study in class 11 hours per week, we are expected to study out of class 36 hours a week, which has now, unfortunately put me into this horrible heartbreaking position. DWP are currently messing my mum around. Using my student finance and now nearly in an overdraft, I have used a large amount of my money to make sure we don't go without. My dad is getting paid less at work, and last week we only had £10 to get us gas and electric (which was both over in emergency). I was about to apply for carers, had the forms come through before I realised I can't get anything. I had it in my head it would backdate, I'd finally no longer suffer with my studies and have an empty fridge and no food. I thought that... until I realised. I am a student, and I can't get money because I study. I live at home. Essentially 148 hours in a week, I'm learning for 47 of them. 100 hours at home (ok lets exclude travel so realistically about 80 hours), and I'm not allowed anything, because I study.

So not only am I studying and trying to keep on top of my studies, while caring for my mum who is just getting worse, and caring for someone who hasn't got enough money to put the food on the table, but I have a dad who's paying off the bills to make sure we have a roof over our head and have no money, but I'm also struggling, and because I'm a student, again, I deserve nothing. It really hurts. I don't care about the money if my mum were to get more (DWP is a scam, now on mandatory reconsideration waiting to send off paperwork), I'd stress less.. help, please, is there anyway I can contest this? Or appeal against such rule? I think it's ridiculous to say because I'm a student I cant get anything when I do more hours than some 'carers' I know :(
Hi, and welcome!
One thing I have learned about caring is that there are often more options available than appear at first sight.
I won't bore you with my own situation, but I have been a carer for over twenty years, and over time, have made all the usual mistakes of jumping to conclusions without checking the facts. Right now, we are doing fine, mainly because we have studied the rules and learned how to work them to our advantage. My son gets a support package which enables me and my wife to continue in paid employment, so we are not short of cash. But it didnt just happen, we had to negotiate it.
Stick in here: take time to ask a few more questions, you might be pleasantly surprised what turns up.
Wow thank you so much. I've literally just joined because my university was like 'Have you looked at carers uk' and I was like ooooh yeah!! Haha! I really hope so. The more the better I always say x
Hi, welcome to the forum. Can I ask what is wrong with mum? What help does she need? When did she last have a Needs Assessment from Social Services, and you and dad, Carers Assessments? If you and dad are away all day, it's vital you have some help to care, so you get time to study and have a life of your own.
Hello Demi-Leigh and welcome to the forum :)

I do understand the problem - I was retired and claiming state pension when I started to care for my Mum and, like full time students, those on state pension can't claim Carers Allowance either ! So personally I can't answer your questions but I 'know a man who can' !

I suggest that you contact the Carers UK Adviceline team as they are the experts on all matters related to caring and benefits. They'll be able to advise you on your own position and will be able to do a benefits check for your Mum and Dad to ensure that they are getting all that they are entitled to - plus they'll be able to advise you on things like Needs Assessment and Carers Assessments.
Need expert advice? You can talk to the Carers UK Adviceline five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.

0808 808 7777
advice@carersuk.org
Open Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm

The Carers UK Adviceline also includes a listening service, there for you to talk through your caring situation with a trained volunteer who understands what you are going through. Available Mondays and Tuesdays, from 9am to 7pm.
If you can’t get through on the phones (lines are often oversubscribed) then send them an email, they’ll usually get back to you within 3-5 working days.
Hello, I understand you so well... My situation is similar and I don't have enough strength to deal with it. I'm studying at The University of Kent and caring for my dad. In my first year, I got The Kent Young Adult Carer Package, but it was only for one year. Now, I'm on a tight budget and I try to find a part-time job. My dad is getting worse and worse and I don't think I can handle everything myself... I thought about a nurse or something... What are the alternatives?
Pablo_SanchezMartin wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:32 am
Hello, I understand you so well... My situation is similar and I don't have enough strength to deal with it. I'm studying at The University of Kent and caring for my dad. In my first year, I got The Kent Young Adult Carer Package, but it was only for one year. Now, I'm on a tight budget and I try to do my homework for me on my last serious project and find a part-time job. My dad is getting worse and worse and I don't think I can handle everything myself... I thought about a nurse or something... What are the alternatives?
Edit: I don't trust DWP anymore either. They were accused of offering 'take it or leave it' benefits to disabled people. I wonder if this accusation will change anything or they will still continue making things worse.
Pablo, if you are using your real, full name, I recommend changing your user name to protect your identity.

Melly1