[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Universal Credit for Carers??? - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Universal Credit for Carers???

All about money
Hi jen_1411,
I'm confused as I have received no information by letter for the change over only for the EeSA it looks like I'm going to keep the eyes open the reason for this is because my wife has M.S. and I'm her carer.
Bye,
Bernard.
Bernard wrote:Hi jen_1411,
I'm confused as I have received no information by letter for the change over only for the EeSA it looks like I'm going to keep the eyes open the reason for this is because my wife has M.S. and I'm her carer.
Bye,
Bernard.
The first I heard about it was via the Job Center adviser, so who knows what will actually happen when it takes affect!
bowlingbun wrote:The Carers UK helpline should be able to advise you. I think it's desperately unfair to expect you to pay rent when you are caring full time. Consider asking the Carers UK helpline to go through mum's finances too, I can't help thinking that she might be entitled to additional benefits. Unfortunately, some older people don't understand how expensive it is to live these days. My father in law was like this, and it caused all sorts of problems. No amount of coaxing would persuade him to spend a bit of money to bring him below the threshold for help with his rent. Hanging onto £3,000 capital meant he missed out on thousands of pounds worth of additional help!!
I was speaking to my advisor once and she said if you paying rent to a relative if live with them as you care for them for income support to take notice of this rent payment you should have a tenancy agreement, and a finance trail of money your paying as they want to confirm it's genuine and above board. Although be careful if it's a council place as sure there is something on their contacts about subletting sometimes, so get the council agreement as they might target you that way. As they have you buy the head and tail.
Experiences like these would feature prominately in a fictious sequel to George Orwell's 1984.

I have extended some of the problems highlighted into a separate thread for anyone interested :

http://www.carersuk.org/forum/support-a ... read-29159

Purely fictional in parts , but a logical extension of Government thinking ?
Moved over to new thread.

30 -15 ... ?
A couple of things, the property your Mum lives in is disregarded for pension credit purposes,so it doesnt count towards her capital.
Also you contributions towards the bills and food are not strictly "rent" as such, rent pays for just physically living in the property usually.I know its really hard managing on a small income but dont worry you will not be made to work when it goes over to Universal Credit if you are still caring.