Understanding care fees and owning your property

All about money

I am hoping to get some advice around paying for care fees in the UK.

My parents live together and own their own property.

My siblings have talked about them selling the house and renting a house closer to the village ( they will struggle to buy)

This to me sounds like a bad idea due to the Mandatory Property Disregard law. But maybe I don't understand the law.

My mother and or father may need residential care. Whilst they are living in a house they both own the govt can't use capital from the property to fund care needs as I understand it ? But if they sold and rented and they have more than 25k in the bank then they would need to pay for all their care needs ?

Are there any circumstances where they would be forced to sell their house to pay for care fees ?
Hi Mark.

Look no further ... four of the true bibles out there ... thanks to AGE UK :

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-ad ... care-home/

Help with selecting a care home :

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-ad ... care-home/

Good general guide for whole scenario :

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/northern-irela ... are-homes/

Disregards ?

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-ad ... -for-care/

All valid as I type ... the forthcoming GREEN PAPER ON SOCIAL CARE may well change the ball game ... perhaps the pitch as well ?
Definitely a bad idea!
Thanks for the links much appreciated. So whilst they are both still living in the house they own if one of them needs care then they disregard the property as capital. Where it gets more complicated I guess if both of them needed care or if the parent who is at home passes away whilst the other is in care. I don't even think my mum n dad have a will, we have tried talking about it but they are not interested and now my mum has dementia it makes it even more difficult.
Yep ... just about sums it up . Mark.

A sheet of A3 to create a flow chart ... yes / no / maybe answers ... within 5 minutes , a second sheet needed ?

AGE UK ... through anyone of the four links ... contact details .... they ARE the experts in this field.
Thanks will call Age UK tommorrow ! Cheers
Your welcome.

Saves buying a few sheets of A3 ?
Definitely don't sell the house!
I had a good chat with age cymru yesterday. I am still a bit confused will call them again. The cap is different is Wales so you are allowed up to 50k in the bank before paying all fees.
What I don’t know is what tenancy my mum n dad have or even if they have a will. Say if my mum is put into a care home whilst my dad is still living in his house, if my dad dies will the house be sold and then all funds used to pay for my mums care ? Appreciate any help.
Hi Mark.

Highly likely.

Tenancy ?

If owner occupied ... joint tenants / tenants in common ... in the event of death , what happens is different depending on which.

Without trying to answer that one , an old article in The Guardian explores the difference :

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/ ... e-solution
Tenancy in common – solution to avoid selling my house for care home fees ?

I have been approached by a firm promoting this solution – it isn’t widely publicised and sounds too good to be true.

For 100% confirmation ... guess who to bounce that one off ?