Carer's Allowance

All about money
My wife had a stroke on 30th July 2016, and 7 weeks later had another stroke. Prior to this I was her assistant in a Childminder's business. Once she had her stroke I started a bookkeeping business. I applied for Carer's Allowance, because I have to dedicate a lot of time looking after her. Now, 14 weeks later, I've been granted it back dated (over £800) but it's not been paid as my wife gets ESA and DWP have deducted it all against the her ESA. I didn't think the two were connected? I thought carers allowance was granted to me and not connected to my wifes income ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Helklo Barry,

Yes, Carers Allowance can impact on benefits paid to the person you care for ! This should have been explained to you when you applied for the benefit.

I suggest that you contact the Carers UK Adviceline team as they are the experts on all matters related to caring and benefits.

Need expert advice? You can talk to the Carers UK Adviceline five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.
0808 808 7777
advice@carersuk.org
Open Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm

The Carers UK Adviceline also includes a listening service, there for you to talk through your caring situation with a trained volunteer who understands what you are going through. Available Mondays and Tuesdays, from 9am to 7pm.

If you can’t get through on the phones (lines are often oversubscribed) then send them an email, they’ll usually get back to you within 3-5 working days.

Also have a read through of this factsheet from our main website:
http://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice ... -allowance
Thank's for replying. Do you know of any other benefits' for which I can apply?
I'm no expert on benefits Barry, far from it - but the Adviceline adviser will be able to do a benefits check for both you and your wife to ensure that you are claiming all that you are entitled to - they really do know their stuff :)