My partner has just had their financial assessment for social care of £40 contribution per week which is apparently based on the financial needs of a single adult. I work part time due to being a carer and earn £17500 before tax and NI. I can't claim child tax credits because of partners income. If I claimed on my own I would get £68 per week (from online calculator). I tried to explain to the local council that my partners income (disability pensions) has to pay towards their child (never mind their own additional bills due to disability). They said claim child tax credits. I said we can't get them due to partners income. They said I was lucky they didn't take my income into account for the assessment.

Has anyone experienced this problem before and were you able to get your claim reassessed as a couple with a child?