[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Self Employed Income and Universal Credit - Carers UK Forum

Self Employed Income and Universal Credit

All about money
I feel like I am insane, but every time I try to work out our possible income using the benefits calculator (turn to us) it seems that if I earn even 45 pounds I will lose something like 100 a week in Universal Credit?

Can someone tell me if this is really right? If so, is there anything I can earn that would make working worthwhile at all now?

Background:
I am a full time carer. I am self employed, or was until January 2018. I haven't shut down, just gone into hibernation. I have been caring for my wife full time for over a decade, running a software business that collapsed and forced me into PC repairs. In December I got sick and could not work. So I went to UC for the first time and visited the CAB. I'm still picking up the pieces and waiting for first UC payment in 2 days. No idea what we're going to get!!! Partner gets highest mobility and daily living. We get child tax credits 82 per month. Other than that we dont get anything. We have Child age 14.

warm regards

Richard
Email our CUK helpline, they know more about DWP rules than the DWP employee. Their knowledge made me £50 better off, so this is a personal recommendation.
Thanks for the reply. What is the email address?

warm regards

Richard
The following thread from the NEW TO THE FORUM section will be of assistance here :

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support- ... bers-24228

Sounds as if you have met with the EARNINGS TAPER ?

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Earni ... sal-Credit

The Universal Credit earnings taper is a reduction to your Universal Credit based on your earned income. The taper rate sets the amount of benefits a claimant loses for each pound they earn. The earnings taper rate is currently 63%.

This means for every pound you earn over your work allowance (if you are eligible for one) your Universal Credit will be reduced by 63 pence.

One of the many " Mines " under UC !
Maybe it is because of the taxes that you have to pay? Have you checked, maybe you pay more than you need to? You know that our government likes to take money from simple people... Why don't you think to try something easier and more real? Maybe you can find something like passive income I heard that now a lot of people make money like this. I'm also looking for some ideas. I know one person who gave one of his cars for renting and now he is living very good and have some extra money, maybe we also have to do this, I find it a very interesting idea.
Richard_1801 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:55 am
Thanks for the reply. What is the email address?

warm regards

Richard
Here you go:
advice@carersuk.org
0808 808 7777

Wishing you all the best
Richard_1801 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:26 am
I feel like I am insane, but every time I try to work out our possible income using the benefits calculator (turn to us) it seems that if I earn even 45 pounds I will lose something like 100 a week in Universal Credit?

Can someone tell me if this is really right? If so, is there anything I can earn that would make working worthwhile at all now?

Background:
I am a full time carer. I am self employed, or was until January 2018. I haven't shut down, just gone into hibernation. I have been caring for my wife full time for over a decade, running a software business that collapsed and forced me into PC repairs. In December I got sick and could not work. So I went to UC for the first time and visited the CAB. I'm still picking up the pieces and waiting for first UC payment in 2 days. No idea what we're going to get!!! Partner gets highest mobility and daily living. We get child tax credits 82 per month. Other than that we dont get anything. We have Child age 14.

warm regards

Richard
The calculators are only a guide. No one really knows until the DWP have processed your application.