[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Renting a larger home to provide care - Carers UK Forum

Renting a larger home to provide care

All about money
My Father is 95, diagnosed with Vascular Dementia and reluctant to accept or pay for care to visit him in his own home; which has been an issues for at least 5 years.

Since Coronavirus lockdown, he’s become more dependent on the care I provide.

My Father lives in a very small privately rented 2 bed house which is too small for myself to live there permanently, the Tenancy is in my Fathers name and should my Father have to go into a care home or die, I would become homeless.

My 1 bed Housing Association flat is on the second floor and there isn’t a lift; plus, it just wouldn’t be practical.

Due to my own long term health issues, I’m also in receipt of benefits.

So my question; what’s available from a benefit perspective, so I can rent a larger 2 bed house, maybe a bungalow with the Tenancy Agreement in my name and my Father moving in ?

I have money for a deposit, a large one if need be and also for the advanced rent.

The rent allowance awarded by Housing Benefit for two adults sharing one property would be higher than the single person 1 bed room allowance, although my Fathers rent, currently paid for by Housing Benefit, is much higher than the current 1 bedroom rate.

I could also end up being homeless, as what would happen if my Father wasn't permanently living at the property for whatever reason; the 2 person rent allowance would no doubt be reduced and I wouldn’t be able to afford the rent ?

Anyone with any experience of what I believe is maybe a solution to my current predicament ?
Don't do it!
You are right to consider the prospect of being made homeless, there have been a number of forum members caring for elderly parents in the family home who have been kicked out after the caree dies or moves into residential care.
A bit more information would be helpful.
How much care does dad need? Do you have power of attorney?
Is he receiving Attendance Allowance? Claiming exemption from Council Tax?
Hello Dave. welcome to the forum

This sounds like a difficult situation for you, wanting to care for your Dad but also having to consider your own security. I'd suggest you ring our helpline on 0808 808 7777 Mon- Fri 9am - 6pm and they'll be able to tell you what you can expect in terms of benefts and housing .

It might also be helpful to download our 'Looking after someone' guide from our support page and check what kind of practical help you're entitled to for your Dad's care:


Best wishes

My Father is still able to walk about by his self, able to dress, sometimes wears odd socks puts T shirts or jumpers on back to front, forgets how to dress on occasions, won’t take his medication without assistance but can still wash and use the bathroom/toilet by his self; and move bedroom furniture around that’s too heavy during the early hours or the morning.
He won’t eat proper meals unless prepared for him but will eat all the food stored in the fridge. within days; I have to hide most food.

He has no concept of time off day and will awake at 5am and want to sit outside, even when it’s too cold and raining but he can’t get through the door ways without assistance, mainly due to the high thresholds of the double glazed doors, the steps and there’s no hand rails either.

We also have issues with the landlord, (who’s a relative) not maintaining the house, updating or adapting the house for an elderly person; my Father’s scared to complain unless he’s kicked out and because Social Services say my Father still has mental capacity to understand and knows what they are talking about, there’s nothing they can do without his permission.
All my family are in awe of the bloody landlord, who totally ignores my request, won’t even speak to me.

Yeah, my Father gets Attendance Allowance and Council Tax Exception, no Power of Attorney yet, too much squabbling with family members who live miles away, visit once in a blue moon and do absolutely nothing when they do visit; well, they manage to leave all the cups, saucers and plates they’ve used next to the kitchen sink.
Dave, on the forum we call relatives like that "Helicopters". They drop in unexpectedly, often tell us what MORE we should be doing (whilst they do sweet FA) and then fly off, without bothering to tidy up after themselves, to be seen again who knows when. My helicopters only came to see mum about every 18 months on average!! Your relatives have effectively lost any right to say what hap

Does dad still understand money? It's actually too late now for dad to sign a Power of Attorney, so if you are concerned about how he is managing his money, there is a very simple alternative. It's called Appointeeship. You write to DWP explaining that dad has dementia, you are concerned about his money management. Google this for more info, it's usually a quick and easy process, then you have to set up an account in YOUR name, specifically for dad's money. I do this for my son with learning difficulties, the account debit card says Mrs. X Y in relation to M, so I don't use the wrong card.

Have you looked at the Alzheimer's Society website, it deals with all forms of dementia, there might be some information you find useful there. Others will be along later, here, with more advice.
My Father still understands money but he can’t relate to cost of things, he still like to know the cost of the shopping and read the receipt but all other bills etc, are not even opened just put in a draw.

Other than what I‘ve described, his dementia is mild, I can still communicate with him and have conversations but his mind does wander.

He’s understanding of Power of Attorney and in person he tells all organisations to deal with me, even on the occasions we’ve visited the bank, but it’s the legal aspect that’s needed, which is beyond him, not because he doesn’t understand but because he just can’t be bothered.

Social Services have said because he has the mental capacity to make decision and understands the crux of their conversation, they can’t force home to accept home help care if he doesn’t want it.
From what you describe, becoming dad's Appointee would be a good idea, so you can handle all the bills etc. It is appropriate if he can't be bothered. Google "DWP appointee" for more information.
I currently handle all my Fathers finances, buy all his shopping, clothing etc and I organised all bills to be paid by Direct Debit many years ago.
I don’t know who or how he initially applied for all his current benefits but according to a Benefits Assessment at the Hospital, he’s receiving everything he’s entitled to.

If being a DWP Appointee is not a necessary requirement, then it’s not high on my priorities at the moment but I will look into it, thanks.

My main concern is the care quandary and my Father to live in a house which is more suitable, one where he can call for maintenance and repair to be carried out without the fear of being kicked out.

Currently, I have my own home to take care of, which is in a totally different area to where my Father live and prior to the Coronavirus lockdown, I use to visit my Father at least twice per week, sometimes every other day and my Father appeared to be managing ok but from what I’ve observed during lockdown, I don’t think it’s safe to leave my Father to care for his self anymore.
An extract from .Gov.uk “Become an appointee for someone claiming benefits.”

“If the benefit is overpaid, depending on the circumstances, you could be held responsible.“

I don’t fancy being in this position should my Fathers benefits be overpaid.
Dave, does dad receive Housing Benefit? If so, then wherever he lives, he should be entitled to it, so it might be possible to rent somewhere else, however there is a real possibility that this would make dad a lot more confused. Have you spoken to the Housing Officer at the local council about the conditions at dad's home? Landlords are required to keep a property in good order. My father in law, years ago, had a property that needed a lot doing to it, the Housing Officer took control and it was all sorted.