[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Benefits Cap - Carers UK Forum

Benefits Cap

All about money
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I could give me some advice in regards to the benefits cap. I just received a letter from my council telling me that my housing benefit will be capped. I live with my 20 year old son who has moderate learning difficulties and autism (he receives disability living allowance) in a two bedroom flat. I myself currently receive income support and carer's allowance. I was under the impression that I would be exempt from the benefit cap because my son is receiving DLA. Was I wrong for thinking this or is this a mistake made by the council? :-???

Thanks
Hello Samantha and welcome to the forum.

I don't know the answer to your question but I'm sure that Carers Adviceline team will !
Need expert advice? You can talk to the Carers UK Adviceline five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.

0808 808 7777
advice@carersuk.org
Open Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm

The Carers UK Adviceline also includes a listening service, there for you to talk through your caring situation with a trained volunteer who understands what you are going through. Available Mondays and Tuesdays, from 9am to 7pm.
If you can't get through on the phone (lines are often overscribed) then send them an email, they'll usually get back to you within 3-5 working days.
Please take Sue's advice above. In meantime here is a link that will give you some background info re the benefit cap

https://www.gov.uk/benefit-cap/overview 3 pages to read

You will note on 2nd page it states....
Carer’s Allowance (this won’t be affected by the benefit cap from autumn 2016)
Also -
Caps from autumn 2016

From autumn 2016 the cap will depend on where you live in the UK.
It is a minefield working your way through, so again as Sue advised, best to seek professional help.

x x