[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
PIP refusal... then PIP SUCCESS - Page 5 - Carers UK Forum

PIP refusal... then PIP SUCCESS

All about money
73 posts
Proxy anger here too! Think it's going to be a term which catches on here, part of our "alternative vocabulary" to join the "helicopter relatives"!?
:lol: alternative vocabulary very good bb. we could make a fortune with the alternative dictionary! with more under your breath swear words hehe
Hello Petal
The Tribunal will not be as scary as you think, as someone said because you are the appointee you have the right to speak and to tell them exactly what care and mobility needs you give assistance with. the panel is made up of a judge, a doctor and a person from the disability advisory service. They will explain to you that they are independent from the DWP.
Point to remember is that they will be asking how things were at the time you applied for pip.
How things are now and that there is not likely to be any improvement will be taken into account but the award will only be for the needs at that time. Whilst the medical condition is a factor it is however about the help needed and given. I would suggest that planning a route, you consider whether (because of Dementia) your husband would remember what he had planned in the morning, he would remember in the afternoon or even how to get back home if you were not with him. I know how difficult and upsetting it can be to talk about these things but you must be open and honest about ALL of the bad days. If possible I would suggest you find a representative that can help you at the hearing. Unfortunately I do not know of anyone near to you.
F.Y.I This is what I do for a living.
Good Luck
Madfloyd
Floyd_1504 wrote:Hello Petal
I know how difficult and upsetting it can be to talk about these things but you must be open and honest about ALL of the bad days. If possible I would suggest you find a representative that can help you at the hearing. Unfortunately I do not know of anyone near to you.
F.Y.I This is what I do for a living.
Good Luck
Madfloyd
Hello Petal,

Yes, as I posted on another thread the hardest thing I had to do in the whole PIP process was to say how my wife was able to function & as I felt I was being disloyal & undermining her but it was the only way that the ATOS assessor & the DWP decision maker would ever be able to reach a reasoned decision.

If your case goes to a tribunal then this is what you'll have to do if your husband suddenly says " oh, I can do all of those things" when you know full-well he can't.

You're probably aware of Disabilities Fife but if not then please use the link below as they mention help with appeals & representation at Tribunals.

http://www.disabilitiesfife.org.uk/Misc ... uncil.html
thanks so much everyone for your support and advice.
We (hubby and I) just do not feel disabled, I know he is and as his wife and carer I will make life as good as I can for him. So perhaps I should be asking for more help with the tribunal and help with other benefits.
Will of course keep everone posted but be patient as it is a long road ahead
Petal wrote:thanks so much everyone for your support and advice.
We (hubby and I) just do not feel disabled, I know he is and as his wife and carer I will make life as good as I can for him. So perhaps I should be asking for more help with the tribunal and help with other benefits.
Will of course keep everone posted but be patient as it is a long road ahead
Exactly right, I often don't regard my wife as having a disabilty because I'm used to how she is so it's often a comment from a neighbour etc that brings the reality back home to me.
Hi all, I thought it was better to start a new topic on our fight for PIP so for those that want to know the history of this, here is the link
http://www.carersuk.org/forum/support-a ... usal-22184
So we are now on week 25 ! Tribunal confirmation letter dated 6th March says they were waiting for the respondent (DWP) to forward paper evidence which I should also have a copy of too, anyway as it is more than 28 days I rang the tribunal office.... to be told DWP not replied and that no hearing date could be set till they respond! I was p'd off that we only get a month to appeal but DWP get however long it takes, how unfair is that?
Well I rang the PIP helpline this afternoon and was greeted by a male advisor who did not understand me nor me him, he may be trained but it was clear he was not of British origin, sorry I do not wish to sound racist but can not explain this person any other way, he read the national insurance number back to me incorrectly, then had to refer to his supervisor for advice on how to deal with my query.
Well upshot is he is requesting the benefits office to call me back with update, within 5 days he says!!!!! I said it has only been 25 weeks so what is another week? he apologized and assured me someone would get back to me, so I am still no further forward but perhaps my call will give them a kick to do something.
I just had to make my self feel useful today as the memory co ordinator did not come here for a home visit that she arranged, so did some browsing on appeals,
All right for OH he just went to sleep for 3 hours :!: I can't make any noise when he's napping as he goes into a foul mood which I can do without.
So should I go into my local benefits office in person to ask what's going on or wait another week? what do you think? I know you caravanj and madfloyd will have some words of wisdom :lol:
Hi petal
According to HMCTS (Tribunals service) 28 days is actually 35 allowing for non workable days, madness I know. the DWP wait until the last minute to send papers, especially if they think they are in the wrong. You have such a good case and I truly believe that if you can put emotion aside on the day you will be triumphant.
Did you find someone (professional) to assist and represent you?
If not as said before, be honest and think worse case scenario, step in and tell them that OH is so proud he will crawl through the bog and mire before admitting that he needs help.
Let me know if you need technical advice.
Good luck
Madfloyd
Thanks MF,
Yes have someone to take alook at his claim and the assessment and agree we do have a case, and this is someone who knows OH condition and the effects it has on his life.
It is just so frustrating the time it takes.
Also I will be going to the tribunal personally, without OH as he gets so annoyed at being asked the same things and questions why he is there, he does it with hospital appointments too.
Oh and I will articulate how bad he is and that he is proud not to let others see his problems.
I am secretly hoping the PIP relook at their flawed assessment and decide to award PIP... :ohmy: yawn wake up ...in my dreams! :lol:
thanks for your offer of technical assistance,
Further to my tribunal posts about our battle for PIP,
I would like to announce to you all
DWP HAVE RECONSIDERED MY HUSBANDS CLAIM AND AWARDED HIM ENHANCED LIVING AND MOBILITY :P :woohoo: :D :D :D :D
We were awaiting a tribunal date and after I rang them yesterday was told someone would call me back, yea right said I!
But sure enough at 1.30 today the lovely PIP decision maker called to say she had relooked at my husbands case and is awarding him PIP , (nothing to do with the fact the adverse publicity of a tribunal so close to an election maybe) and she also wanted to know what my opinion of Atos assessment, well I told her the truth and pulled no punches so to speak, useless and disinterested I said.
So I just wanted to share our victory, and hopefully give encouragement to others who feel they should appeal, be patient but go for it, don't be put off, it has taken 26 weeks from claim date but we have got there.
Think I may dance a little jig and hubby is smiling too...all he wanted was a blue badge to park close to the shop :lol:
DWP just do not realise the other small benefits we can now apply for. And the recognition that he does need help in day to day life, just because he looks ok does not mean his dementia is any the less a disability!
So thank you all my supportive carer friends I wish we could all raise a glass for every bit of good news no matter how small.
Thank you xx :)
73 posts