[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
PIP refusal... then PIP SUCCESS - Page 7 - Carers UK Forum

PIP refusal... then PIP SUCCESS

All about money
73 posts
Hello Petal,

Apart from the monetary success, you've also succeeded in getting your husband's cognitive problems recognised which is a huge success on it's own.

The problem with mild dementia, as opposed to gaga-land dementia (which is the only way I can describe it), is that the person appears normal to the casual observer & it's very difficult to get the disabling effect on their life recognised & accepted.

In general chit-chat conversation or talking in minute detail about something that happened 30 years ago, my wife appears 'normal' & it isn't until she's having to, for example, give instructions to a solicitor that it's patently obvious that she isn't 'normal'.

Whilst she may be able to place food in the microwave she'd not remember to ensure that any foil container should not be put in the microwave so she'd potentially destroy the microwave .

Likewise she can't remember what waste goes in what bin & we only have two, the recycling being clearly coloured green & the refuse waste being black so I have to re-sort it all.

If asked "do you remember when we saw Billy Smith last year & he said xyz" she'd say yes.

If, however, the question was worded "when did we last see Billy Smith & what did he say?" she wouldn't know.

So once again Petal, well done you.
Caravanj you describe life to a tee! your wife and my hubby would get on wonderfully :) Yes it is the recognition more than money, although the money willcome in handy,and make life a little more somfy! must tell you something... the other day we were supposedly food shopping in Lidl and other half put an electric plane (woodworking tool) in trolly, £40 :-??? why ? says I, just because I want one he says, I know he will probably never use it, but you can't reason with him as he truly believes he will .
We have a stratagy when we take MIL to the supermarket, we let her put things in basket and then I pass them back to hubby to put back on shelf, this was acouple of years ago now, she has vascular dementia and in a care home, OH and I laughed at this and now I find I am doing a similar thing with him! ;)
I was thinking there should be a national scheme of say wristbands for people with dementia for shops to recognise they have problems, I know the Dementia Friends site is raising awareness but that is fine if staff training is done.
Having someone close with early onset dementia does make you more perceptive of others, I have become more patient in queues and the like.
Hello Petal,

I can't say enough how helpful I've found your threads as I can relate 100% to them.

Your husband & his plane made me laugh, my wife's logic is wanting to buy things that are discounted i.e. if she spends £100 & gets items worth £150 then in her head she's 'made' £50 & not spent £100.

I hope these threads will continue to useful for other forum members who are coping with the same problems.
Great news, and an answer to anyone who thinks that it just isn't worth making a claim because the rules are unfair and biased.
Petal

Congratulations. I've been following this thread, but know nothing about PIP.

I'm so pleased you stuck to your guns.

Caravanj

If asked "do you remember when we saw Billy Smith last year & he said xyz" she'd say yes.

If, however, the question was worded "when did we last see Billy Smith & what did he say?" she wouldn't know.

So once again Petal, well done you.

That so reminds me of my mum.

But Petal, good on you XXX Enjoy the chocs
thanks again folks,
All I can say is if you know you have a case and present it in a non emotional way then DWP will take notice, just takes a long time so be patient. Now I have a new dilemma... we get joint ESA support group, and I am going to now claim carers allowance, which will be taken off our ESA but hubby will get a disability premium which form what the benefits advisor said will mean we will be better off, apparently, but somehow I'm not convinced! watch for new topic on this ....
I have merged all 3 threads about this into one to make it easier for readers to follow the story from start to finish.

Well done on your success

x
The trouble with staff training is that it is often done, but it's token.

When you try to put it into practice, then some manager/team leader will jump on your back, and tell you not to do what you've just been told to do.

I ended up so confused, I told the mangers where to get off. If some woman wanted to know were the Maraschino cherries were; I told her.

"Follow me... they're not in 'baking'... they're amongst the pickles.... No, I don't know why either... oh, look... they're next to the pickled lemons... maybe that's why."
Hi Petal, what great news. Well done :D

My Husbands award was incorrect, there was no doubt about it. We were so stressed with the process after the trauma of my Husbands heart attack and surgery and we were treated abominably by the assessor. Also when they told us to appeal our Son had had a stroke so more trauma and stress and it all got too much.

Now I have my Sons PIPS form to complete and I will take all I have read here to help me succeed. Thanks for the inspiration.
Huegatort wrote:Hi Petal, what great news. Well done :D

My Husbands award was incorrect, there was no doubt about it. We were so stressed with the process after the trauma of my Husbands heart attack and surgery and we were treated abominably by the assessor. Also when they told us to appeal our Son had had a stroke so more trauma and stress and it all got too much.

Now I have my Sons PIPS form to complete and I will take all I have read here to help me succeed. Thanks for the inspiration.
Hello Huegatort,

I may well be preaching to the knowledgeable but it won't do any harm to reiterate all the main points when completing a PIP application form.

Please make sure that you don't concentrate on your son's medical condition & medical terminology.

PIP is based on how his condition affects him & not on what the condition is.

Work your way through the PIP form in conjunction with the PIP self-assessment & ensure that you describe how each of the PIP descriptors relate to your son, remembering that with PIP & unlike DLA, he only has to be unable to do things for part of any 24 hour period & not for the majority of the 24 houe period.

Also remember that your son has to be able to do things safely, repeatedly & in a timely manner so if he can make a cup of tea but it takes him 10 minutes & he spills the first one then, in the DWP's own criteria, he's not capable of doing that task.

I've reposted the PIP self-assessment link below.

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/person ... -self-test
73 posts