[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
PIP making life difficult - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

PIP making life difficult

All about money
Dear Shaun

All I can say to you is to take the help of the CAB and take your case to a tribunal with their support.

I have read many stories like yours and I have had harsh experience of this punitive system myself.

I have felt your anger, despair and sheer frustration myself and due to the enormous stress of it all and having 2 men that had almost lost their lives within 6 months of each other to care for, I didn't appeal!

We desperately needed the money just to survive our basic needs. I felt the same as you did in as much as that I'd let my Husband down and questioned all that I had sent in for proof, alongside the forms and I even questioned my own behaviour. I beat myself up even today for what I didn't do back in 2014.

We were verbally abused at my Husbands assessment so much that my Husband had tears running down his face when it was over. In that assessment I went to pass the young male assessor extra information, he was sitting on an office chair with wheels, he scooted over on this chair his legs wide open and got so close to me I could feel my knees touching his thighs, I couldn't move back as we were sitting on chairs that where against the wall, then he leant closer and said quietly, "I cant take those papers you could have just made anything up!" This was emasculating to watch/experience for my Husband. I felt violated and abused in a number of ways! This young mans attitude throughout this assessment was condescending. He abused his position of power!

Carers are vulnerable people and some may not agree but we have so much to cope with day and night, leaving us physically and mentally drained! We are never considered in amongst all of this punitive system and where would this country be without the Carers army!

Too much power is given to people who have little or no knowledge of how a health problem affects people and their Carers too. How many have had benefits sanctioned; people who are the most vulnerable, poorest members of our society! Sadly Errol Graham the most recent!

From what I have read, you have done everything humanly possible to help and support your Wife. Sheer exhaustion with caring and the cruel benefits system cannot be avoided sadly.

I hope that all of the support that you have here will spur you on.

Kind regards
Hello
I would like to say that over the years I was in receipt of DLA middle rate care - full rate mobility with long term award.
When PIP came in after attending review despite having Rheumatoid Arthritis and Fibromyalgia I failed to get any mobility.
I went to CAB and the lady helped me do appeal up to setting up Tribunal - but did not go with me so I went alone.
Needless to say nothing changed and I still didn't get any mobility
My health deteriorated and again I went for another assessment but actually fell in the corridor from waiting room to the office.
The report said i walked safely and securely to and from the office so no mobility
I requested a mandatory reassessment but nothing changed.
I made the decision to find a solicitor to help me. They are very rare Solicitors who specifically deal with benefits but found a brilliant one in Sheffield!
They allowed me to psy the fees in instalments and importantly listened carefully to my case.
She has pulled the assessment and DWP apart big time and raised very important points which the Assessor reported but failed to mark = points which would have given me higher care but importantly mobility.
She is also attending my forthcoming tribunal hearing to put my legal challenge forward to the panel before they speak to me.
Whilst CAB is mostly very good with benefits, if you can somehow afford a solicitor to help I would recommend getting one because a solicitor looks at every aspect of your health, how it affects you and the Assessors records.
I hope this helps and good luck
Excellent information - thanks for sharing. This I hope encourages people to keep going on and challenging.