[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Question about ESA joint claim - Carers UK Forum

Question about ESA joint claim

All about money
Hi everyone, first post here. Not used this forum before and very weirded out that i've never heard of this.
That being said, let me explain why I'm here.

In December 2012, my partner (girlfriend of 10 years. not married yet) has started receiving ESA every 2 weeks.
When we applied for it, I was mentioned on the form and registered as her carer I guess. I have not received a penny for my name being on it. To this date.

I tried applying to JSA while I looked for a job, but looking after my disabled partner I couldn't do much looking for jobs. When I tried applying for JSA, I got told I couldn't get it because I'm on my partners ESA claim. Despite not getting money for it. And paying for everything with 1 person's worth of ESA is not a very easy thing to do. I don't have to explain that it didn't help her situation to always be strapped to the house and not being able to do or buy anything to make her happy or entertained. She's had depression since a very early age, severe anxiety and has blackout out of nowhere. Both the doctor and the DWP are aware of this.

So because I couldn't claim JSA, I was told that there's absolutely no reason why I didn't get paid, and I should have been getting it since day 1 of her ESA claim. This is what I've been told at the Jobcentre when I applied for JSA.

Now, 3 years later, I had to get my teeth fixed, and of course it went trough the NHS because I'm on her ESA claim.
Or so I thought.
A while after the dentist visits, I get a letter from the NHS saying I owe them 100+ for the dentist work and that I'm not receiveing any benefits. They checked with the DWP it seems. Because when I called the DWP about this to ask why I'm not allowed free dentist care because I'm on her ESA claim which was told to me several times over the phone and in person, they told me that I'm on her ESA claim, but I'm "inactive" because they need to see something from me showing i'm entitled to benefits and to stay in the UK. I'm from the Netherlands. It's in the EU. I've had JSA payments in the past (about 7 years ago), had housing benefit with my partner, and never had any problems until NOW. now they want me to send in proof of my legaility status. This in itself is not a problem, as I found out i can get all data that the home office has on me, sent over and then show it to the jobcentre.

My question here is, (and sorry for the big big explanation)

If I get my documents and show them this, would I get the extra money I would have had from the start backdated?
I can show and explain to a tribunal if need be, why we need that money. We can finally move out of this nasty place with it, I can get a driving license, a car, insurance and everything else to improve her condition. Shes finally getting therapy after 4 years of messing around, and that alone won't help if we have to go back home to this every time.

Important to note, is that I've not received or claimed a penny of the DWP's money this entire time my partner has been on ESA and DLA. She's been getting DLA since 2014.

Any help on this matter would be seriously appreciated. I have no idea what to expect with this. Going in completely blind.

Thanks very much to take the time to read this!
Nobody know anything about this?
Hi Roms

benefits are an absolute minefield !

I would suggest that your best bet would to contact the Carers UK Advice line - their the experts on all matters related to benefits :)
Need expert advice? You can talk to the Carers UK Adviceline five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.

0808 808 7777
advice@carersuk.org
Open Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm
It is often better to contact them by email as the telephone lines can be oversubscribed !
susieq wrote:Hi Roms

benefits are an absolute minefield !

I would suggest that your best bet would to contact the Carers UK Advice line - their the experts on all matters related to benefits :)
Need expert advice? You can talk to the Carers UK Adviceline five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.

0808 808 7777
advice@carersuk.org
Open Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm
It is often better to contact them by email as the telephone lines can be oversubscribed !

Thanks very much for this. I'll send an email and hope for the best!!!!