[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Fake carer gets four years for fraud - Carers UK Forum

Fake carer gets four years for fraud

All about money
A mother of eight who fraudulently received £350,000 in benefits and tax credits has been jailed for four years. Webber was told she was guilty of one of the biggest single benefit fraud overpayments ever recorded.

Judge Anthony Niblett said Webber and her family at one point had an income of more than £10,000 a month.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-22652179
I heard about this. This is the sort of thing that gives all us genuine carers a bad name - people seem to think that most people getting benefits are fraudulent. Image
How do they do it? We had to jump through hoops to sort out benefits for my daughter and myself - the DWP even rang me when she was seriously ill in hospital to see why she was unable to attend for interview. Beats me... Image
My thoughts exactly farmer. When I was claiming DLA for M I ended up writing an enormous number of letters, sending medical reports, school reports etc. etc. This case shows that the real problem is consistency within the DWP, it seems to have taken an enormous amount of time before their alarm bells started ringing!
This ties in with what you are saying,BowlingBun.
There has also been a report this week of twin baby boys with Downs Syndrome. Parents applied for DLA,one boy has been allowed DLA,the other hasn't,and they have exactly the same needs. I believe the parents said they had written exactly the same for both boys.
I just don't don't know how they have the gall to do it.

We had to jump through hoops too with Hubs claims, at one point he would have qute happily given up he was so worn out with the whole thing.

Strange though, the fraud case I heard about, the twins I hadn't.
They seem to shout about fraud, but whisper about their own incompetence.
( insert swearword here)
When I think of all the parlarva we had over hubby's CHC. Trying to do the right thing and do exactly what was asked of us by the authorities and still they deemed a man paralysed from chest down, to be uneligible. We did the whole appealing procedure, meaning yet more investigations and eventually won.

I wonder if we should have lied??????

That's obviously what these unscrupulous fraudsters do all the time - LIE!
But decent people just don't do that, no matter what.
Shameful woman.
I am amazed she got away with it as I was asked if Sarah still had Downs Syndrome when her DLA was up for renewal! Don't the DWP contact doctors nowdays when someone puts a claim in or do so many just slip through the net?
The Twins I read about and how one can get dla and the other not is disgusting, what muppets do the dwp employ to look at the forms.

I often wonder about athletes from the special Olympics they will get mobility and rightly so but then they are seen to be doing their sports, will the government take their mobility award away?
I often wonder about athletes from the special Olympics they will get mobility and rightly so but then they are seen to be doing their sports, will the government take their mobility award away?
Probably not if they can't actually walk unaided]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanni_Grey-Thompson[/url]
I wholeheartedly agree about "doing the right thing". These people who cheat the system must be very tenacious. I spent hours and hours and HOURS on my my very first claim - filling in forms, photcopying bank account details, sending in duplicate paperwork when they claimed they had "never received" what I'd sent them (even though I had proof of posting). Eight months down the line I had to get my MP involved. I bet tons of honest people give up in the end.

The paralympians argument is an interesting one - raises an ethical debate, I think. If they are able to go forward and make a very good living out of it, does this mean any financial help from the government should be stopped? I'm not sure - is it a similar argument to that of people who have worked hard all their lives, made provision for their old age and then find they cannot access any benefits? Both my parents served in the Armed Forces during the war, worked damn hard all their adult life, and made sure they had put enough in place to provide themselves in their later years. My Dad does get AA, but that's it. When I had a break last year it cost him £1400 to go into a care home. When he was discharged from hospital last year after a very severe UTI, it was £200 per week to get in extra help as I couldn't manage to do everything on my own as he lost all of his mobility. Yet I look at people who have lived on benefits most of their lives, seem to have the latest mobile phones as soon as they hit the shops, the latest TV systems, go down the pub, buy lottery tickets, get a taxi home from the supermarket, have ipads - and they've never contributed anything to society, but when they're old, all their care will be paid for. And here am I flattening bacon rashers with the back of a knife to make them seem bigger Image

I guess life's a bitch and as I've spent years telling my own kids "when did I ever teach you that life was going to be fair?".