Pension Credit & Carers Allowance

For information and discussion about benefits

I had a question about how Carers Allowance works with pension credit.

Currently me and my husband get £250 pension credit, my husband started recently receiving attendance allowance which is £50 a week.
I was to apply for carers allowance, however was told I wouldn't receive the full amount as I receive pension credit, and would only get a little bit extra pension credit instead.

Also, would carers allowance reduce the amount of housing benefit we get?

Does anyone know how this works roughly?

Thanks. :)
I suggest that you contact the Carers UK Adviceline team as they are the experts on all matters related to caring and benefits, and will be able to give you advice based on your particular circumstances.
Need expert advice? You can talk to the Carers UK Adviceline five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.

Freephone: 0808 808 7777

Carers UK’s advice and information team based in London is undergoing staff changes. This means the Adviceline is closed on Thursdays and Fridays whilst we recruit and train new members of staff. We will be taking calls on Monday – Wednesday between 10am and 4pm. . You can email or write to the Adviceline and we will respond to your enquiries within five working days.

The Carers UK Adviceline also includes a listening service, there for you to talk through your caring situation with a trained volunteer who understands what you are going through. Available Mondays and Tuesdays, from 10am to 4pm.

If you can’t get through on the phones (lines are often oversubscribed) then send them an email, they’ll usually get back to you within 3-5 working days.
One of the most unfair rules is that you cannot claim Carers Allowance if you are pension age, I'm afraid. However, there is something called "underlying entitlement" under certain circumstances. Be sure to ring our CUK helpline, if it's busy, don't keep trying, just email them instead and they will give you a very good reply.
Can I ask what is the matter with your husband? Has he had a Needs Assessment from Social Services, and you, a Carers Assessment? Under some circumstances, Social Services can pay you to provide care. Again, this is something you need to discuss with the helpline.