[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
paying my rent - Carers UK Forum

paying my rent

All about money
hi can any one help has I get dla for my 15 yr old son and carers allowance and my local council refuse to let me have a discreasionary form ,so cause I am private tenant I have to pay an extra 115 pound every month towards my rent witch I am having to take out of my sons diability money can they do this ?
Emma, I don't know the answer but if I were you I would go to Citizen's Advice and ask for advice and for someone to help you tackle the council.
Good luck
Elaine
Carers UK has an excellent helpline. As your son is approaching the age of 16, some benefits will change. It's really important that you take advice so you don't miss out. They will be able to talk you through the current rent problem as well. Why are they refusing to even give you a form?!
emma_16011 wrote:hi can any one help has I get dla for my 15 yr old son and carers allowance and my local council refuse to let me have a discreasionary form ,so cause I am private tenant I have to pay an extra 115 pound every month towards my rent witch I am having to take out of my sons diability money can they do this ?
Hello Emma,

I suggest you download the DHP manual & have a look at page 7.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... nce-manual
Yes, it is very important at the 16th birthday to claim ESA - this can be around £120 per week, so it makes a big difference compared with child benefit. This applies to most students with disabilities too, unless they are on a course leading to a recognised qualification, when other help is available.
DLA is being continued indefinitely for many of our young people into adulthood as there is a huge backlog for PiP assessments.