P.I.P

All about money
Hi,
my husband was diagnosed with incurable kidney cancer with mets to the lungs and lymph nodes in July. We applied for E.S.A which took 9 weeks to come through, during this time we used up all of our savings. He was then told to apply for P.I.P and he went to the assessment 3 weeks ago. How long does it take to hear if you have been awarded this benefit as we cannot survive on the £112 a week from E.S.A what with the 2 weekly trips to the hospital etc.
Many thanks.
If you are on income related ESA you should be able to get the money for your fares to hospital back. Next time you go take your proof of benefit & your husband's appointment card to the reception of the hospital & ask them about it. Hospitals generally have a particular office that you go to in order to get the money, usually there & then. You can also claim in retrospect within a certain time period. Check here -

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Help-wi ... spital.htm

I know I haven't answered your question but it may help you out a bit.
it used to be that if you had a terminal illness, that the normal application process was bypassed and you were fast tracked to benefits. I don't know how it works with PIP,but it may be worth phoning MacMillan or Carers UK to find out more.They will be able to point you in the right direction.You also need to apply for Carers Allowance so that when your other half is given PIP,you will receive Carers Allowance as soon as you are entitled to it.
It is a lot of extra worry for you both at a time when you need to be able to support each other, and there will be a lot of physical exhaustion too.(((((((((((hugs))))))))))) to you, I am sure you need them xx
Thanks so much for your helpful replies xx