[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
need advice asap! dla to pip nightmare ! - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

need advice asap! dla to pip nightmare !

All about money
Josie_1501 wrote: She scored 5 for care and 4 for mobility. We did the self assessment test online and even if judged harshly she should have scored 12 care and 10 mobility.
I've been doing a bit of research I think the difference in scores is due to the activity descriptors very craftily used by the DWP. e.g. my wife often needs me to ensure she understands what she's been told etc. but because I'm not a trained communication support worker we score no points for this.
The link below explains it.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/ben ... iptors.htm
This isn't the right conclusion. You THE MOST experienced communicator, you may not have qualifications but you certainly have the experience. This is useful for me when M's time comes. He has severe speech and language problems but he will share things with me that no one else would have a clue about. After all, I'm his mum, I've had 36 years of experience!!
bowlingbun wrote:This isn't the right conclusion. You THE MOST experienced communicator, you may not have qualifications but you certainly have the experience. This is useful for me when M's time comes. He has severe speech and language problems but he will share things with me that no one else would have a clue about. After all, I'm his mum, I've had 36 years of experience!!
I hope I'm wrong & you're right but assuming you're correct then the descriptor is irrelevant as every carer is experienced in giving communication support to the person for whom they care.

The DWP came out & assessed my wife & I've been given "appointment to act" status which means all communications from the DWP / PIP / ATOS etc. are sent to me in my name for me for me to deal with on behalf of my wife.

To my mind this should be proof-positive that she needs communication support so I'll let you know if this is the case after the assessment.

The main problem is that computer-based assessments give no room for interpretation, a good example being that my car insurance was always difficult to do online because my specific occupation wasn't in the insurer's menu box so I always had to phone to sort it out.
Thinking about this some more, the question is poorly written. Social Services look at needs arising from difficulties. So in your wife's case it sounds as if she needs an " interpreter" or similar. SSD woulb be happy that you, as nesrest relative, were able to do this, but if they were paying someone else, that person would need expertise to meet the need. So the NEED remains the same. It sounds as if the DWP don't rally understand communication problems.
I've just read on facebook that Irwin Mitchell solicitors have been given permission for a judicial review looking at the DWP fiasco of changeovers from DLA to PIP. More in IM's website. (Sorry mods, not sure if this counts as advertising or not, delete or amend if you want)