[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
MOTABILITY CAR - Hospital Stay - Carers UK Forum

MOTABILITY CAR - Hospital Stay

All about money
I care for my wife. We have a Motability vehicle - our only vehicle. She has been in hospital now 28+ days, awaiting surgery on Aug.6th.

Today I got a call from Motability Operations. I couldn't take the call as I was at the hospital.

I understand about suspension of DLA, enhanced mobility rates etc, but wondered if anybody has experience of how Motability are responding to circumstances such as the one I find myself in?
The 'rules' have changed since My Jan was in hospital (for 7 wks.). They replied to a 'members letter in the Motability Magazine , several months ago.

They said that alternative 'arrangements' could be discussed. Our advice would be to get in touch with 'Motability'.

Hope the surgery goes well and that your wife is soon on the mend.
I don't know about the Motability car rules but my wif'e's just been awarded high rate mobility & in the envelope was a form for a free tax disc so I thought 'great'.

Until I read the form which said that it only applied if the car was used solely for my wife which obviously it isn't since she isn't able to drive & the car's registered in my name.

Does a Motability car have to be for the exclusive use of the DLA recipient & are you saying that as she's in hospital you're not allowed to use it?
I have always found Motability staff to be helpful. You need know exactly where you stand, especially with them paying insurance.

This happened to us when mam was alive and I was allowed to keep car for the duration.
Caravanj we get a free tax disc, the car is in my name and I use it to drive hubby about, hes named on the insurance for the times he is able to drive which isn't very often nowdays
Caravanj we get a free tax disc, the car is in my name and I use it to drive hubby about, hes named on the insurance for the times he is able to drive which isn't very often nowdays
My wife can't get her licence re-issued until she's passed a medical examination, which is highly unlikley, & even if she did, she wouldn't be safe to drive.
Therefore the car & the insurance are all in my name.
When my son was small, we were told that we could apply for a free tax disc. Obviously, as he was a child, he could not drive! Although to qualify, the car was supposed to be for "his use", they said that this didn't mean that he actually had to be in the car. The advisor on the helpline said "if you go shopping, you're going shopping for him, aren't you" with the stress being on the "aren't you", the implication being that there were some grey areas and as long as you could say that a journey was for "his use" then that was OK.

However, we didn't apply because we didn't want to be in the situation where we wanted to use the car but weren't supposed to because of the free tax disc. I'm sure lots of people don't interpret the rules as strictly as others though.

All this was some time ago, so the rules may have changed or been tightened up since then.
When my son was small, we were told that we could apply for a free tax disc. Obviously, as he was a child, he could not drive! Although to qualify, the car was supposed to be for "his use", they said that this didn't mean that he actually had to be in the car. The advisor on the helpline said "if you go shopping, you're going shopping for him, aren't you" with the stress being on the "aren't you", the implication being that there were some grey areas and as long as you could say that a journey was for "his use" then that was OK.

However, we didn't apply because we didn't want to be in the situation where we wanted to use the car but weren't supposed to because of the free tax disc. I'm sure lots of people don't interpret the rules as strictly as others though.

All this was some time ago, so the rules may have changed or been tightened up since then.
Yes, that's how we interpreted the rules which are petty & stupid.

But to use your shopping example, when I use the car to do the odd bit of work a couple of days a month, I'm working for my wife as well as myself.

And also like you, we're not bothering to claim a free tax disc.

The stress of having to justify it to some over-zealous plod, especially a 'special' who's got nothing better to do with their time, would be too stressful.

The following, which has been copied & pasted from the DWP website, confirms it.

Vehicle tax exemption
Eligibility

You can apply for exemption from paying vehicle tax if you get the:

higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
enhanced rate mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement

The vehicle must be registered in the disabled person’s name or their nominated driver’s name. It must only be used for the disabled person’s personal needs. It can’t be used by the nominated driver for their own personal use.
When I go out I am shopping to get food for hubby, prescriptions or other things, I guess if they had to check everyone it would take a lot of man power and cash