Carers allowance following a death

All about money
Hello all,

My father sadly passed away at the beginning of June, we used the tellusonce service when we registered his death. I was receiving carers allowance for him and understood this can continue for 8 weeks following the death, I was expecting only my second payment to happen around todays date 27/06 but nothing has gone in, does anyone know if there is a delay in payments after a death or if you have to wait the 8 weeks for a lump sum? Horrible talking of money after a loved one has passed but the £66 a week was my only income, thankfully i have understanding relatives that are helping me at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any advice and help.
Hi Jonathan ... welcome and ... condolences.

If you were receiving Carer's Allowance when the person you cared for died, this will usually continue to be paid for eight weeks from the Sunday after their death.

If you were receiving a carer premium or addition as part of your Income Support or Pension Credit, this will also continue for eight weeks.

Recommend contacting the DWP Carers Unit direct :

https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance-unit
Ji Johnathan
I found my carers allowance stopped immediately and I also used the one stop service. I wasn't expecting any more and had finished all the administration side of probate, then 18 months later I received a surprise cheque for 8 weeks worth of Carers allowance for the period following the loss of my father. I think perhaps it had been stopped in error and the mistake was picked up by their auditing process. I think it would be worth a phone call to make sure they haven't stopped it too soon by mistake.
Henrietta wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:43 pm
Ji Johnathan
I found my carers allowance stopped immediately and I also used the one stop service. I wasn't expecting any more and had finished all the administration side of probate, then 18 months later I received a surprise cheque for 8 weeks worth of Carers allowance for the period following the loss of my father. I think perhaps it had been stopped in error and the mistake was picked up by their auditing process. I think it would be worth a phone call to make sure they haven't stopped it too soon by mistake.
Thank you, I wasn't expecting anything either then came across a few things online regarding the 8 weeks, so little information regarding this it should be made clear for you when you are going through so many emotions and distress.