Included in the 35 hour rule??

For information and discussion about benefits
Lynn, think about having someone in to do the worst of the housework or gardening, to save yourself some work. Does your mum have savings over £23,00? If so, be sure to get her to give you a significant amount for the care you provide. If towards the end of her life mum needs nursing home care, it will cost around £1,000 a week, which might take up all your inheritance. However, it is perfectly legal for mum to pay you for the care you provide.
If this is a consideration, ring our CUK helpline for full details. If mum owns her own home, then talk to a solicitor about placing it in joint names. This will make it so much easier in due course as it will automatically become yours. Again, savings accounts in joint names are also a good idea, for the same reason.
Of course, so much depends on mum's attitude to these things. Hopefully the Power of Attorney has been sorted out? My mum was relieved when I agreed to take over everything to do with finance, dad had always dealt with it and mum was too old and infirm to take over. On the other hand my father in law was still saving for a rainy day at 86, refusing to keep the house warm by putting on draught excluder as the landlord would benefit after he died!
Oh heck, there's so much to think about financially!! :o
I'd been wondering about Power of Attorney, do people normally get a solicitor to do it? I've looked online and seen that it's possible to do it without a solicitor, it looks pretty simple??
It's both my Mum and Dad that I care for and they haven't even made a Will which is scary but thankfully they're coming round to the idea which is a relief, I'm now arranging to get that sorted at least!
I'll approach the subject of POA next.
Also, I've always wondered why people would spend so much on a care home when surely it would be cheaper to employ someone to care for the family member at home ... or maybe I'm missing something about this idea :?
There's a difference between a CARE home and a NURSING home,.
Care homes are not required to have a qualified nurse on duty, they are for people who can get up and about, but may need a bit of guidance.
Nursing homes are required to have a qualified nurse on duty at all times, generally patients need a lot more care, may be bed bound, require feeding, washing, etc.
These days, often you will find both types of bed in the same home, but divided up so one floor will be care, another floor nursing. This is definitely the best arrangement, because when someone gets towards the end of their lives they will need some element of nursing, perhaps pain relief via a syringe driver for example.
It is possible that it's cheaper to have a live in carer for someone, if they can get some rest during a 24 hour period, but three nursing staff to be on duty round the clock is more expensive.
I chose to use a solicitor to deal with my mum's affairs, both will and POA, because I was too busy anyhow (I have a disabled son) and I wanted everything to be done absolutely perfectly, due to a money grabbing brother!! Sometimes it pays in the long run. We have used the same firm of solicitors for over 50 years.
Sometimes it's easier for a solicitor to deal with difficult subjects, so you don't have to.
Thanks bowlingbun, I'm learning all the time, there's so much to become wise to, I appreciate your advice .... thanks again for 'putting me right' :)