[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
In need of general benefits advice. - Carers UK Forum

In need of general benefits advice.

All about money
Hey,

I'm 22 and caring for my partner who is 21, an epileptic and also has Nystagmus and Dyspraxia. I my self have had a bowel condition since I was a baby and also have depression and anxiety. I receive income related E.S.A and my partner receives D.L.A at middle mobility and lower care rate. My partner only developed epilepsy about 2 years and on the advice of c.a.b notified d.l.a but didn't not find out whether her epilepsy entitled her to more as my partners mother had filled out her d.l.s form when my partner was baby and had put down a wheat allergy that she didn't actually have, so we had some tests done at the Drs and just changed the wheat allergy for epilepsy, but surely she should be on a different rate now she has epilepsy? She gets 290 a month. I get 400 a month e.s.a after appealing for over 2 years and do not claim carers allowance. We are in a housing association and receive housing benefits. But the problem is we still have literally no money, we spend about 280-300 a month on food, cleaning, bills etc. We top up both our phones so if I'm out and she feels like she's going to have a seizure we can contact each other and arrange appointments. this leaves us with about 360 a month which is 45 a week each for other things. We do smoke but plan on quitting soon, we have internet included on our pay as you go phone tariffs and do not have sky t.v. I don't often drink and we don't own a car. I just don't know how to make things better for us, we would of both like to go on holiday but we couldn't even afford to go to cornwall lol. All my friends can afford to go to the beach and go for meals together. I know it sounds selfish but I want to make our quality of life better after spending years going to different hospitals and appealing to have any money at all. Any help would be much appreciated thanks guys Image
Also is there any way to get her into a gym? I used to have a free leisure pass because my illness affected my ability to do sports. She loves riding her bike but I cannot ride a bike so she has no one to ride with :/

Thanks Image
Hi Rachel, if you look at the top of the page there's a tab which says "Help and Advice". Whilst I understand that you both have long standing conditions, sometimes it's a good idea to go through the basic things, in case they or you have changed. I always say that the benefits system is a bit like Snakes and Ladders, so complex that we can only give general advice based on our own individual experiences of the system. There is no substitute for getting advice from either the Carers UK helpline, a special disability adviser or similar. Don't ever rely on DWP advice, it's not always as accurate as it should be! If you want a holiday, have either of you got a disabled rail card or similar, entitling you to reduced fares? If you book well in advance the fares are very, very low indeed. Ask Social Services to update your Needs/Carers Assessments and say how you are struggling financially. Unfortunately, each local authority does things a bit differently, who what happens in my area may differ from yours.