[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Carers allowance when on Income Support - Carers UK Forum

Carers allowance when on Income Support

All about money
Having looked into it & given great advice here it seems that if i try to work the 16 hours a week one can on carers allowance it can earn me no more than £99 a week after deductions to not lose my C.A.
However i will lose approximately £60 to Income Support out of which i have to pay petrol etc.
Its so frustrating to scrabble around trying to see if you can earn a little more & be told that for 16 hours you get about £2.70 an hour net as your reward...so i guess i will do charity work instead.
If anyone thinks i have got my figures grossly wrong or have missed something which might make a work scenario look more worthwhile please post.
Its my understanding that you used to be able to get working tax credits to "Up" this but now that has been set at a minimum 18.5 hours a week which is not allowable when on carers allowance.
Grateful for any advice or confirmation of how i am seeing this.
see link below for info on getting advice

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=18890
Having looked into it & given great advice here it seems that if i try to work the 16 hours a week one can on carers allowance it can earn me no more than £99 a week after deductions to not lose my C.A.
However i will lose approximately £60 to Income Support out of which i have to pay petrol etc.
Its so frustrating to scrabble around trying to see if you can earn a little more & be told that for 16 hours you get about £2.70 an hour net as your reward...so i guess i will do charity work instead.
If anyone thinks i have got my figures grossly wrong or have missed something which might make a work scenario look more worthwhile please post.
Its my understanding that you used to be able to get working tax credits to "Up" this but now that has been set at a minimum 18.5 hours a week which is not allowable when on carers allowance.
Grateful for any advice or confirmation of how i am seeing this.
You just need to add up the net amount in £'s that you'd get from each available option & then choose the option that gives you the most money .

E.g if option A pays £100 per week & option B pays £80 per week then choose option A but if option A loses you £50 per week from another benefit & option B doesn't then choose option B.

CA or any welfare rights outfit should be able to give you the full figures.
don't quote me on this but i mentioned to a friend that i would like to do a bit of charity work for a couple of hours a week just so as me and my partner have some time to ourselves but he warned me to be careful because if carers allowance people think you are not for filling your role as carer you may lose some carers allowance, it might be worth asking an expert before you do it just in case.
yes ive just been warned that by my local age concern charity shop who want me to help but query just what you said .
You are entitled to CA if you care for 35 hours a week. That includes not just the hours you are actually washing/dressing/feeding shopping for them, but also phone calls, handling their financial affairs, doing their washing, being available and "watching over", depending on your carees needs. So if you live with someone with DLA care and do lots of things for them taking two hours off to work in a charity shop isn't going to upset anything.