[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
I want to put in for CA for myself (any advice?) - Carers UK Forum

I want to put in for CA for myself (any advice?)

All about money
Hello,

I am a 54 year old disabled woman with an illness of progressive M.S. I do have a carer (my daughter) who's entitled to Carers Allowance (CA) since she was 16 years old. She is now 24 and wanting to start a new life abroad in America and has plans to marry her online love she's known for 6 years. I want her to go because she hasn't had much of a social or career life. As she has always been a carer for myself and put my needs first.

She plans to go away this January until April so her and her soon to be husband can file the papers and get the ball rolling. But she cannot be a legal carer to me if she goes away that long. As it states the longest holiday she can take is only up to 4 weeks. I was wondering if I could claim CA for myself because eventually I will be completely alone with no care. I am currently claiming Income Support (IS) and Disability Living Allowance (DLA) as well as Housing Benefit. Please can any one shed some advice if they have been in a similar situation or know for definite I am able to claim for myself.

Thank you,
Kim
Welcome to the forum. Carers UK has a helpline which can advise you. As a lay person, I beleive that if you claim CA then the person you care for loses a premium on their ESA, so presumably the reverse is true? The helpline is brilliant, ring or email them if they are busy, and they will be able to give you a much more detailed response.
However, maybe this is a good time to ask social services to do a new Needs Assessment, with a view to you arranging for carers to come and help you, and allow your daughter more time with her new husband? Lots to think about and a time of change and uncertainty.
Kim_1611123 wrote:Hello,

I am a 54 year old disabled woman with an illness of progressive M.S. I do have a carer (my daughter) who's entitled to Carers Allowance (CA) since she was 16 years old......................................I was wondering if I could claim CA for myself because eventually I will be completely alone with no care.

Thank you,
Kim
Carers Allowance is a benefit paid to someone who is caring for another person, so it wouldn't be payable to yourself.

I suggest that you contact the Carers UK Adviceline team as they are the experts on all matters related to caring and benefits. They will be able to do a benefits check for you to make sure you are claiming all the benfits to which you are entitled.
Need expert advice? You can talk to the Carers UK Adviceline five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.

0808 808 7777
advice@carersuk.org
Open Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm

The Carers UK Adviceline also includes a listening service, there for you to talk through your caring situation with a trained volunteer who understands what you are going through. Available Mondays and Tuesdays, from 9am to 7pm.

If you can’t get through on the phones (lines are often oversubscribed) then send them an email, they’ll usually get back to you within 3-5 working days.