[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Travel costs - Carers UK Forum

Travel costs

All about money
Hi, I'm Tracey. My Husband has to spend time periodically in Barts hospital London. We live in Essex and is costing so much for me to travel there. Is there any help for us carers regarding travel to visit our loved ones. The problem is that he really needs me to be with him because he needs my input with Doctors.
Thanks.
Hi Tracey, I can't answer your specific question myself, however CUK has it's own benefits helpline. Might I suggest you ring them. Have some basic income figures handy and they will be able to check whether there is anything else you are entitled to. They made me £50 a week better off, so I'm always happy to recommend them.
Hi 'Bun'. Thanks for your reply. I'm picking my Husband up today so will be a bit busy, but I'll call as soon as I can. Thanks.
You cannot claim help with travel costs, if you are visiting someone in hospital. However, visitors in receipt of one of the qualifying benefits may be able to receive assistance in the form of a Discretionary Care Grant. Further information about this assistance can be obtained from your local council.
http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcost ... costs.aspx
It might be worthwhile having a word with the PALS office at Barts to see if they can suggest anything.
Thanks all. I might contact the council then to see if there is a discretionary grant.