[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Home assessment by PIPs (ATOS), advice please - Carers UK Forum

Home assessment by PIPs (ATOS), advice please

All about money
Hi
In 2014 my Husband had a heart attack and a quadruple bypass, he was hospitalised for 7 weeks in all. He claimed PIPs and had to have an assessment at a centre near our home. It was a nightmare and we were treated abominably; I did write a post here about our experience. He didn't get the right award and I appealed on his behalf but after 4 months the DWP said the right award was given and that he could appeal. We didn't appeal as at the time our Son had had a stroke and we were more distressed than ever and my Husband was still weak and frail.
Recently and after a year my Husband received yet another 40 page booklet to complete and return even though my Husbands award was for 2 years! This morning my Husband received a letter to state that he has to have a home assessment in Feb!
Has anyone else had a home assessment, what does it entail and how long does the visit last? Will they inspect our home? I would be most grateful for any information and advice.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post.
Regards
Huegatort - I don't have any personal experience but I did find these online - the first is from the CAB website and the second is from the British Lung Foundation forum - the one from BLF is about 18 months old but I don't think much would have changed in the intervening period.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benef ... ssessment/

https://healthunlocked.com/blf/posts/13 ... t-feedback
Hi. I had a home PIP assessment last year. A nurse, of sorts, came to my friend's house.
She asked all the questions that were on the form and she wrote down everything that was said. I did most of the talking for my friend.
She asked if my friend could do some physical movements. My friend said she was unable to do that at that moment. She said that was fine, and no physical happened.
It lasted about 40 minutes.
She did not look around the house.
It is a lot easier than the ESA examination.
Be honest, tell her or him how bad things can be, and you will be fine.
Hello, I am registered carer & had a home assessment on the 4th january.I had an appointment for the 20th December which I cancelled & they sent me a new home appointment for 4th Jan, again which I cancelled. However as my Hubby was sick, they came to the door, & I was nervous and we went ahead. But the result is I had a letter from them saying NO !! I am ok in their eyes. So I can go back out to work !!Which I cant do anyway as I am a full time carer for my Husband. I am gutted & suffer from Osteo-arthritis in my hips, hips & thumb joints, also I suffer from Anxiety. It would seem to me as though you have to be in a sick bed before this wrechted Government will pay out.!!The whole system is wrong. All I want the extra money for is to help p[ay for Therapists so I can have a reflexology treatment. Instaed of getting Happy pills form my GP !! They will not check your house, they are only interested about your Husband and what he can do. If he can walk 200 yards. Forget it.If he can wash himself, forget it. Does he use a stick? Can he cook? Its nothing to do with the carer but him & him alone. Hope this helps.Good luck. regards Amanda
Amanda_151212 wrote:Hello, I am registered carer & had a home assessment on the 4th january.I had an appointment for the 20th December which I cancelled & they sent me a new home appointment for 4th Jan, again which I cancelled. However as my Hubby was sick, they came to the door, & I was nervous and we went ahead. But the result is I had a letter from them saying NO !! I am ok in their eyes. So I can go back out to work !!Which I cant do anyway as I am a full time carer for my Husband. I am gutted & suffer from Osteo-arthritis in my hips, hips & thumb joints, also I suffer from Anxiety. It would seem to me as though you have to be in a sick bed before this wrechted Government will pay out.!!The whole system is wrong. All I want the extra money for is to help p[ay for Therapists so I can have a reflexology treatment. Instaed of getting Happy pills form my GP !! They will not check your house, they are only interested about your Husband and what he can do. If he can walk 200 yards. Forget it.If he can wash himself, forget it. Does he use a stick? Can he cook? Its nothing to do with the carer but him & him alone. Hope this helps.Good luck. regards Amanda
I've only just seen this as I've not been checking the forum for a while & was going to reply but I'm not sure that, from your last paragraph, I've worked out who was being assessed for PIP, you or your husband.

However my experience of an ATOS home assessment was similar to that described by Carer909 but the assessor did have a look at some safety aids I'd installed in the house but of course it may have been out of professional interest rather than part of the official assessment. The assessment concentrated on what my wife could actually do, which is the criteria for PIP, & not on her medical conditions which tended to be be used for DLA assessments.

Anyway my wife was awarded PIP at the rates which I'd worked out were appropriate.

Very recently I helped an ex-neighbour, who had a paper-only assessment DLA award for high rate mobility & mid rate care, with her PIP claim.

After her home visit assessment for PIP her entitlement to PIP was assessed as nil & when I read the reasons on the determination decision I couldn't really argue with it but I requested a mandatory reconsideration which was rejected as I assumed it would be.

The reasons given were that, despite a range of well-documented medical conditions, she did her own cooking, did her own cleaning, she could drive herself to the shops & do her own shopping & therefore did not meet the criteria for a PIP award.

She does, however, get ESA as she's unable to work but there is no relationship between PIP & ESA.

PIP is not affected by your ability to work as many people who work get PIP.
Hi Thank -you for your reply. I am not going to bother to re apply for pips. Its so stresful & the way I see things are people have to be bed ridden before they will get any form of help. I am a carer for time for my Husband, I had a hip replacement last march, & really in a nutshell, although the op went well it has failed on me as I have had to help with my Husbands mobility as well as sort my self out.My Husband has OA like I do, hes also deaf & severely sighted in both eyes.I also suffer from Anxiety issues. But there we go I now know what I am worth.And really cant be bothered to put myself through more hurdles again. regards Amanda H
Amanda_151212 wrote: Hi Thank -you for your reply. I am not going to bother to re apply for pips. Its so stresful & the way I see things are people have to be bed ridden before they will get any form of help. I am a carer for time for my Husband, I had a hip replacement last march, & really in a nutshell, although the op went well it has failed on me as I have had to help with my Husbands mobility as well as sort my self out.My Husband has OA like I do, hes also deaf & severely sighted in both eyes.I also suffer from Anxiety issues. But there we go I now know what I am worth.And really cant be bothered to put myself through more hurdles again. regards Amanda H
Hello Amanda,

Yes it is certainly is stressful & my ex-neighbour chose not to make a tribunal appeal for that very reason.

Even those who do get PIP are on constant edge for fear of losing it at the next assessment.
My son has recently been informed that he will lose his Middle rate care and lower rate mobility DLA and must apply for PIP.
I've completed the self-assessment form on the PIP website to check his eligibility and according to that, he has about three times the points he needs to qualify for higher rate PIP, (well over 30, especially on things like communication where he needs a lot of help) so I don't really have any anxiety, but I am well aware of the fact that this process requires good preparation.
Basically he needs support of some kind - even light supervision - to do almost anything. That is a bit sad for me to accept as we have worked so hard to help him become more independent, but most of the time I am hardly aware of all the day to day care duties, like ensuring he is clean, eats properly, changes his clothes, gets healthy exercise, goes to bed, gets up, and takes his medication, because it is just second nature.
My guess is that if we do this conscientiously he will be awarded higher rate PIP, which is worth more than his current DLA award, but I've heard all the horror stories and am well aware of the fact that every care need has to be backed up with evidence.
Hello to all for taking the time to post a reply; it's very much appreciated and I learn so much from all who responded.

Like I said in another post, I often forget where I've posted but have just realised that I can check in my post :? .

My Husband received the same award thank goodness and it's for 3 years but I have no doubt that the agency will be in touch again after 2 and then all the anxieties start again!

A nurse came out to do the assessment and it was all very straight forward. We were treated with respect. The assessment lasted about an hour and we were relieved when it was over but tired after all of the stress this assessment had caused to both of us.

Regards