Help with internet costs?

All about money
Hello

Does anyone know of any schemes for reducing the cost of internet access for carers? Been researching a little and not found any such thing, but if anyone knows differently I would love to find out!

Thanks
The government did have a scheme called something like Access for All, I know there were reconditioned laptops and computers available, and cheaper internet access through BT, but don't know if there is anything similar now.
Have a look at this site and see if you could apply for a grant from anyone. I think it depends on where your postcode is, who you care for, what you want the grant for etc but it may help.
https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Your-Situation/Carers
Most public libraries have free Internet access and computers. They also come with free heating and lighting. Not to be sneezed at. However, I also recommend McDonalds, Motorway services, Coffee shops and similar free wifi services. As long as you have a tablet or laptop, you don't pay a penny other than the price of a cup of coffee.
Our home internet is from BT which also means free açcess to any bt hotspot. No need to buy a coffee.! Its a brilliant freebie. I hardly ever have to use mobile data and run a 4g phone on about £10 every 3-6 months as can use bt call allowance on my mobile too.
MrsAverage wrote:Our home internet is from BT which also means free açcess to any bt hotspot. No need to buy a coffee.! Its a brilliant freebie. I hardly ever have to use mobile data and run a 4g phone on about £10 every 3-6 months as can use bt call allowance on my mobile too.
I used to use BT, but when the monthly bill came to £60 I shopped around, I'm with Tesco now, at half that cost for unlimited phone and internet. And could do better if I tried hard.
most local authorities have a fund called the carers' support fund, which is not something that they publicise well, but exists to support carers in their caring role. The powers that be don't want you to use it to buy things like washing machines, but they like you to use it to buy in services such as laundry collection and delivery. (Seems counterintuitive, but I see what they're trying to achieve).
I think Internet access is vital for anyone whose ability to access the outside world is restrained by whatever circumstance, and people with disabilities and their carers certainly fall under this umbrella. So perhaps you could make enquiries to your local social services and avail of this fund on the grounds that it is necessary for you to continue your caring responsibilities.
My brother shares his wi-fi connection with his next door neighbour - it can be done.
That Argos link looks interesting - free tablet plus free training session plus free 12 months broadband. Nice one!