[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Help! Carers overpayment - Payrise taken me over limit - Carers UK Forum

Help! Carers overpayment - Payrise taken me over limit

All about money
Hi all, newbie here. :)

I've been working & receiving Carers Allowance for my son for over 20 years and restricted my hours so I stayed below the earnings limit. I work in education and we had a long awaited payrise last year which has taken me over the limit but as I've been working the same hours for the last 7 years it didn't even occur to me to think this may take me over the limit. :cry: It's only by £1.90 a week but they've stopped paying Carers & say I owe a £4000 overpayment! :o :cry:

I sent off the MR but they've refused to take any notice of a clothing allowance I was claiming as an expense. :( They also don't seem to have any NI contributions and I'm sure I pay some so I need to look into that (EDIT: I don't pay NI). Is there anything else I can claim for? I don't travel for work or pay carers but I do have to take my son to Daycentre in order for me to attend work, would his Motability lease be eligible as an expense as I need this car to take him for the care I need in order to be able to work? Clutching at straws, I know but I don't have the £4000 and I'm not currently claiming Carers for them to deduct it from there ... although I am in the process of increasing my pension contributions which would hopefully make me eligible again.

Is there any point in sending off a Tribunal Notice of Appeal? :dry:

Thanks for any help or advice. :)
Just reading the sticky (Carers allowance and earning over £102 (now £110) per week.), would my son's lunch at Daycentre count? I don't pay for Daycentre but I pay for extra activities and he attends a cycling centre once a week, would that count?
Hi T__J,
Unfortunately, I don't think his mobility lease or lunch would count, he should be paying for those out of his own benefits, but you are best to seek proper advice:
You can email us at adviceline@carersuk.org and we will respond to your enquiries within 10 working days, although it can often be sooner.

Our telephone helpline providing information is open from Monday to Friday between 9am and 6pm - 0808 808 7777
Melly1
Melly1 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:40 pm
Hi T__J,
Unfortunately, I don't think his mobility lease or lunch would count, he should be paying for those out of his own benefits, but you are best to seek proper advice:
You can email us at adviceline@carersuk.org and we will respond to your enquiries within 10 working days, although it can often be sooner.

Our telephone helpline providing information is open from Monday to Friday between 9am and 6pm - 0808 808 7777
Melly1
Thanks @melly1, I emailed them last night after reading one of your replies on another post. I think I'll go ahead & complete the Tribunal Notice of Appeal with what expenses I think they should allow based on comments on this forum and await the Carers Advice Line's response to make any amendments before sending it off.