[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Appling for carers allowance - Carers UK Forum

Appling for carers allowance

All about money
Hello, I’m new to the forum. Not sure if I’m posting this in the right place. I have a few questions.

My first question is, am I eligible to get Carers Allowance? I care for my mom currently. She has bipolar disorder and struggles with day to day life. She gets PIP daily living component. We live together so I am always on hand to attend to her. I make food for her, accompany her to stressful places, remind her to take her medicines, clean the house, and have to be on hand in case she has a “wobble” or panic. Sometimes when I cannot accompany her somewhere she has been known to harass other people (strangers) for doing something she didn’t like in public. She gets incredibly stressed out and believes she is significantly autistic.

I am 25 now. In my teens I would talk about eventually moving out but she would always say “no, I need you here.” Even on a good day she may lie in bed for a long time, but not getting a full sleep. She is often very tired. She will wake up at 2am. Sometimes she will begin to cry out of nowhere. Sometimes she self harms. If something upsets her (i.e. she gets a fine of some kind, or a company isn’t cooperating with her), she will feel it for weeks. She has a constant spending problem AND has been hoarding for about 20 years. I have to clean the house, do the washing up, scrub the floors, and hoover. If I don’t, she will let the house go to rack and ruin. My brother is also under the same roof, however he seems unable to assist me/her because he has Aspergers. Really he needs a carer of his own (he cannot even put a lid onto a milk bottle), and I do try to help him out where I see him struggle.

So far does this sound like I could get CA at all? I fear that because I live with her it would be difficult to tell how long I “technically” spend caring for her. But really I think it is round the clock because I need to always be on hand. I know she would fall apart without me and I feel like if I ever moved away she would think I’ve abandoned her and her condition would escalate. I also feel that she would push away any professional carers who could help in my place.

My second question is do they still require you to attend an interview for CA or not? Is it just like applying for other benefits?

My third question is who exactly pays the CA. Is it the government or the person you care for, or a bit of both.

Thank you for any help
Streuth, of course you qualify!!!
What OUTSIDE help do you get from Social Services? What benefits and support does your brother get?
bowlingbun wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:38 pm
Streuth, of course you qualify!!!
What OUTSIDE help do you get from Social Services? What benefits and support does your brother get?
Thanks. I don’t get any help from social services. Really this is just an ‘informal’ arrangement between me and my mom. My brother also gets PIP, but just the mobility aspect. He also gets ESA.
Lovepush
Do you work or earn anything at all? Do you get benefits yourself?
MrsAverage wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:09 pm
Lovepush
Do you work or earn anything at all? Do you get benefits yourself?
Hi, thanks for responding. I do not work. I have been on ESA for quite a few years now.
Is anyone able to answer my other question? Do they still require you to attend an interview for CA?
Have a read through of the Carers UK factsheet on Carers Allowance here
https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advic ... -allowance

I think it will answer your questions.

As far as I am aware you are not required to attend an interview to claim CA - but please do email our Adviceline (adviceline@carersuk.org) for a definitive answer.

Also have a look at this factsheet which covers examples of any reason(s) for which you may be asked to attend an interview once you are in receipt of CA.
susieq wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:17 am

As far as I am aware you are not required to attend an interview to claim CA - but please do email our Adviceline (adviceline@carersuk.org) for a definitive answer.

Also have a look at this factsheet which covers examples of any reason(s) for which you may be asked to attend an interview once you are in receipt of CA.
That is very helpful. I did look at the help and advice page, but must have missed the factsheet somehow. I have just sent off the application. Thank you!
lovepush wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:08 pm
susieq wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:17 am

That is very helpful. I did look at the help and advice page, but must have missed the factsheet somehow. I have just sent off the application. Thank you!
sorry, I forgot to add the 2nd link !
https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advic ... d-activity