[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Going through the PIP claims process - Carers UK Forum

Going through the PIP claims process

All about money
Hi, has anyone been or is anyone currently going through the PIP claims process? How did it go/how is it going? I am in the process with my three care-ees. We are at the stage of waiting to hear results after the forms went in and all three had their interviews. A had her interview at home and of the three interviewers hers was the most understanding. J and M had to go to a centre for theirs. J's interviewer was quite good and understanding of James, but M's interviewer was hopeless. Her first question was, 'How do your learning disability and your autism affect you?'

I would be interested to hear how other people are getting on/got on with this process.

Gilli
Hi Gilli ... the NEWS and MENTAL HEALTH sections contain a few articles on the PIP process ... none of which make good reading.

Classic case of bad experiences being reported whereas those saling through tend not to report their experience.

Hopefully , yours will prove to be an exception , and progress smoothly without any hiccups.
Hi Gilli,
S has transferred to PIP, it was all fine. His interview was at home. The assessor didn't know how to interact him and directed the questions to me. They have bog standard questions and they are rather silly. We were asked how his a autism and LD affected him. How often did he see a doctor about his LD? About his autism? What treatment does he have for it?!!! Etc etc I suppose they are ask the same for any condition e.g how does your arthritis affect you? How often do you see a doctor about it? What treatment are you having?

Totally farcical. Also some of her interpretation of what he could/ couldn't do. However I didn't challenge the report as he got enough points for the higher rate.

I hope your three get the right award.

Melly1
My son with severe learning difficulties, previously awarded highest DLA for life, was transferred to PIP without any problem.
Well, we heard back about J and he was turned down for PIP. I get the feeling that only people who are obviously disabled are having their claims accepted. He got all of 2 points, which were awarded because he needs to be prompted to engage with people in conversation.

We plan to appeal. It's all just so time-consuming.

I also think that sending letters out to people telling them that the PIP people are in a position to make a decision is a waste of paper. My daughter received a text message and a letter.

Gilli
Hi Gilli ... PIP APPEALS ... any search engine will provide some useful sites which will assist in the appeals process.

I hope you are successful.
Hi Gilli, don't panic. Make sure you get all the forms back in time, because there are strict time limits.
Make sure that you are sent a copy of the assessor's report, asap, not just the decision.
I had real problems with a DLA claim for myself, the only one in 40 years of helping others, that wasn't successful!
I was advised by the head of the adjudicators to ask for a copy of the form, then went through it all with a highlighter pen, the errors were horrendous, even saying that if I could walk the 300 YARDS from the Watirose disabled car park into the shop, I wasn't elegible for Mobility Allowance. The car park is right next to the shop!
Thank you both.

Gilli
After getting some excellent advice from the Citizens’ Advice Bureau, I contacted the PIP office and registered my request for a mandatory reconsideration of the decision about the claim. A person there said I would have 1 month from that date to get written informstion in to back up my claim. I have made an appointment with the CAB to help me do the write-up.

A has heard back - her claim was successful - yay!

No word about M’s claim.

Gilli
After getting some excellent advice from the Citizens’ Advice Bureau, I contacted the PIP office and registered my request for a mandatory reconsideration of the decision about the claim. A person there said I would have 1 month from that date to get written informstion in to back up my claim. I have made an appointment with the CAB to help me do the write-up.

A has heard back - her claim was successful - yay!

No word about M’s claim.

Gilli