[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Finances after DS turns 19. - Carers UK Forum

Finances after DS turns 19.

All about money
Hi Everyone
I was wondering if anyone has had the pleasure of going through the financial transition / changes when their son / daughter turns 19 and comes out of full time education...... My Son is severely disabled, can't walk, talk, needs full help with his day to day life and has the mental age of around a 1-2 year old, he will be 16 this october ( so yep have the pip to go through ) but i'm not one that likes financial surprises if i can avoid them, i like to be prepared, know whats coming, to be able to prepare for them, so i'm trying to find out what will change financially when he comes out of full time education.

I don't surrpose anyone would be able to shed any light on this at all would you?
My son's DLA was stopped when he hit the age of 16 (he will be 29 next month) and I was told well they might have found a cure for muscular dystrophy and you didn't tell us about it!!!??!! There is no treatment or cure for DMD and it is usually fatal by the early twenties. They are, quite simply, idiots!

Eun
Hi redfang, as this is such a complicated minefield you would be better getting in touch with our advice team via phone or email.
Please get advice as soon as possible. My son is disabled and became entitled to adult benefits at 16, not 19. That was some time ago, he's 35 now.