[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ESA Appeal - Page 4 - Carers UK Forum

ESA Appeal

All about money
same as sturdygirl...when OH went to work focus interview it was at the Jobcentre, worth reassuring you crocus , jobcentre staff are really administrators, they have not involved themselves in the DWP/ATOS saga of assessing ESA and all its legislation and regulations...go in with your husband, sit with him , if he gets stuck , speak up for him . When i went with my OH , the jobcentre guy asked all about his health, shook his head, and said come back in 6 months, and was never asked to go back. I am sure they are absolutely as disgusted as we all are when really ill people are sat in front of them and they too are expected to produce and miracle job out of the hat ...stand firm and I wish you both all the best, baby steps is the only way you are going to beat this incredibly stupid process . Image
Thanks Sturdygirl and Aceso.
I do hope thats what happens. It would be more our luck that he has a good day, appears absolutely fine and gets sent on loads of courses. Image
Our local staff who deal with ESA are by and large OK.

Stupidly enough there are folks out there who are desparate for work and have no illness or disability but can`t find a job and can`t get help to find one because staff are tied up with this silly procedure.

Hope the visit isn`t too stressful.xx
Thanks poppett.
Well the interview went better than expected. Hubby had several absence attacks in front of the interviewer, although not the big tonic/clonic one that would have been the icing on the cake Image Image Image I think that one is yet to come - probably later on this week.
I asked the interviewer if she had noticed the absence attacks and she said that she had - so that was good. Id brought the letters and reports that Id photocopied from his GP records in case she wanted proof that he had all these problems, but she didnt need to see them.
She said that she couldnt think of any suitable jobs for him, didnt want to send him on any courses and said we didnt have to do anything further.
I mentioned that we have put in an appeal to have him transferred to the support group and she said that she had seen people who had won the appeal and that she would phone us in a couple of months time to see how the appeal was going - not sure why Image
I chatted to her a bit and definitely got the impression that she was a bit fed up with having to pick up the pieces after ATOS. She also said that they have just been told that ATOS will now automatically put people with cancer in the support group - Im passing this on for info.

So........ what now?

Im still trying to collect written evidence for the appeal. Should I have heard anything from them about this yet? I havent even had an acknowledgement from DWP, although I sent it signed for postage. At what stage should I see CAB?

Its like going through a maze.
Great news about interview Crocus.

Regards the appeal, they should acknowledge receipt of your letter immediately with a basic "thank you for your letter which we will be in touch with you again about within 28days". I have had people get that letter in the same post as the decision. Is it possible to check online if it was signed for? If so, print off a copy and then give them a phone. So much mail is opened in Royal Mail centres now and then sent to the office rather than sacks of mail just go to the office there is often stuff go missing. Most recent we had was 27 pages of a form were lost between RM and DWP. The new form they sent had no date on it and there was a week between RM opening it and DWP acknowledging it and it took a week to arrive! Even sent by return post we were looking at a loss of 3 or 4 weeks money. We copied the RM opening page with their receipt stamp, told them we were enclosing a copy of same and expected the claim to be appropriately backdated.

After 28 days they can write again with a further 28 day extension, but decisions usually take only a couple of weeks, unless they have a backlog. If you phone they should be able to tell you how long the backlog is for.

We have family who work in RM where benefit letters are opened and they always say not to waste the money sending it signed for as it isn`t worth the paper it`s written on. A proof of posting is free and is datestamped. If you copy everything before you send it and it gets lost it is easy enough to copy from the copies, as all the original dates will be on there.

Good luck.xx
crocus i'm really very happy its heading in the right direction at last for you, i sometimes head over to MoneySavingExpert the section on The Benefits & Tax Credits Board, not very much now, that section really depresses me most of the time, i cannot read most that get posted.
It's really worrying how people find themselves in, its just very depressing.
So its nice to heard somthing good.
Hi Crocus, I'm really pleased the interview went well.
I would try the CAB as soon as poss, they were amazingly helpful with us.
I would also phone the ESA to check they have received the paperwork, that way if there are any hitches, they can be sorted sooner rather than later

Keep at it, yes it is a minefield, but you're doing so well, one hurdle at a time
xx
Like sturdygirl says, one step at a time and hope that you're now on small steps in the right direction.

Fingers crossed you won't be kept in the dark for too long and things will be sorted and you can relax.

Good luck xxx
Have tried phoning the people who sent the letter telling us he had been put in the work group to check up about the appeal. It is unbelievably complicated - a whole load of automated options (none of which are to speak to someone) and you have to keep inputting things on the keyboard. I kept making mistakes so Ill try again later. At least I can do it for him, God knows how hubby would cope if he had to do it himself. Image

We have family who work in RM where benefit letters are opened and they always say not to waste the money sending it signed for as it isn`t worth the paper it`s written on. A proof of posting is free and is datestamped. If you copy everything before you send it and it gets lost it is easy enough to copy from the copies, as all the original dates will be on there.
I know what you are saying poppett, but proof of posting only proves that you sent it, signed for delivery proves that they received it.
Glad that bit is over Crocus.
My sister works for a courier company,and she said the DWP have become crafty,they are ensuring they do NOT have to accept signatures anymore.Some of their addresses are able to be signed for, others are not.
Good luck with the phone calls. If it is too difficult, give your MP's office a ring and ask them to do it on your husband's behalf, I did this with my son last year and had a reply within half an hour.