[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ESA Appeal - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

ESA Appeal

All about money
1. Don't let the b*****ds grind you down.
My Signature exactly! Image

My wife has also been called up for ESA and so is seeking help on filling out her form.

We have known for a long time about this site - http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/ - they charge £19.99 for a years membership but they DO seem to be VERY informative with excellent help guides, news and information. They also come highly recommended by many people. Seems to be £19.99 well spent.

Does anyone else here have any views or comments about them?
OK latest update

We have received the written report saying why they think he can work. They have noted his fits and cognitive problems, but think he still should be able to work.
We are going tomorrow to look through his GPs medical records, but I feel sure that its not going to help. The last time he had a cognitive examination was 15 years ago and he has declined since then. The only thing recent is a memory test which made him remember facts and figures. He has NO problems with that, its experiences, conversations, people - that sort of thing - that he cant remember, so the memory test showed no problems with his memory. Less than useful.
I feel sure that there wont be anything useful in it as we have pootled along, aware that he is in decline, but coped with it at home, so it really isnt documented anywhere.

I feel really sick every time I think about it and cant concentrate on anything Image
[I feel sure that there wont be anything useful in it as we have pootled along, aware that he is in decline, but coped with it at home, so it really isnt documented anywhere].quote, Crocus.
That's the thing isn't it?It is what we do,as there is nothing really that the Drs can do to help most of the disabilities that my husband has. The disabilities are just there, they cannot be magicked away.

I hope that you find something useful in your husband's notes tomorrow.
Is there not a page for "further information" on the ESA appeal form. There is on DLA. Anyway this can be filled in by the person who knows the claimant best, and doesn`t have to be a healthcare professional. Hope that helps.xx
you have done good crocus!! now just get letter writing to your consultants , i have found the disability alliance handbook my bible , its about £7 if on benefits , the Child Poverty Action Welfare and Tax Credit book is also excellent..easy reading and well worth looking at ... but you can find them both it in library.
I left my job on Thursday as my OH has deteriorated since i went back to work 3 months ago , life went just t**s up...today was the claim day...HMRC informed , CA claimed on line , ESA form ( reassessment) form completed and proof of posting done, also went to local council and put in our claim for housing benefit . But as I am fully aware of all the welfare reforms and i am a harden welfare rights worker in the past...I am worried ...and preparing for problems. My OH has been on ESA support group for 3 years, so i reckon , with a new form in , they will re assess and put him in the work related group, even though he has a life threatening illness!! Like you , he has been on DLA indefinitely, that too will come later. He too was under the London hospital for Neuro in Queens Square and under Kings..I intend to write to both for evidence, you find they are really supportive and from what i gather from from recent convo with consultants, they are spitting dust at ATOS! Image
keep us informed how you get on , by sharing we can all help each other. Our local carers support newsletter warned carers the DWP were putting people into the work related group with no assessment or medical...so its happening everywhere , we all need to be on our guard. Image
have a look at this , it has all about cognitive problems...

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/wca-handbook.pdf
Well done on your mammoth achievement. I hope it all goes well for you.
At least now, once the letter is received, you will still get all your benefit payments until the hearing is held and a decision is made.
Good luck with it all and don't worry if it takes a long time, just hang in there and gather as much evidence as you can.

Best wishes
Kiwigaz
Further update:

Went to see hubbys neurologist yesterday, she didnt even know what ESA was Image Image
But she was very helpful, is sending him for an up-to-date neuropsychology assessment and an EEG. She will also write a report herself and send me a copy. I am hopeful that this will give us some much needed written evidence.

On the down side hubby has a work related interview at the job centre on Monday to see what work he can do. I am going with him. Pity he cant produce a major tonic/clonic seizure that requires calling an ambulance to order.............. Image

Edit - forgot to ask, anyone got any tips about what to say/do at the works assessment?
Further update]Image[/url]

Edit - forgot to ask, anyone got any tips about what to say/do at the works assessment?
If they stress him out he probably will! Image
Hi Crocus,
My Hubby had to attend a work focused interview while we were 'in limbo'
OH had a small absence (yes, he managed one to order!) while we were waiting due to the stress, the interviewer could see he was agitated, sweating and trembling and was quite surprised he wasn't in the support group.
She asked a few basic questions then said she would see him again in 6 months and wished him well at his next Neuro appointment.
He never had to go again, we sent as much evidence as possible and he was placed in the support group.
Don't worry, just explain as best and fully as you can the effects and frequency of the Epilepsy and neuro problems, at the end of the day, it's their job to support you, not force you into an unsuitable job.
Very best wishes to you both
xx