[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ESA Appeal - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

ESA Appeal

All about money
Oh God, this sounds awful
I dont know if I can really do this Image
Crocus, you are correct, it sounds awful because it is awful.

And I would whole heartedly recommend that you don't try to do this alone. I tried and failed. Find help in your area. We used social services/welfare advice who handled it all for us.

Get them to send instruction that you will be appealing the decision. (This is the easy bit so you may want to do this yourself and quickly) You don't need to send any proof/evidence until nearer the time of the appeal. We had 15 months to prepare for ours.

Sort out all your paperwork and don't throw anything away. Any letters detailing hospital visits etc.

And always remember... you are right!

Feel free to contact me if I can help.
Crocus, two things:
1. Don't let the b*****ds grind you down.
2. You can email the CUK Helpline. They will get back you.
It's not that bad actually. Years ago, I realised that most things in life work like a game, once you know the rules properly, you can play the game so much better. It's no different from a game of football or an MoT test really. DWP need to have boxes ticked, give them what they feel they need to tick a box, and they'll give you the benefit. Sometimes it may take a while for someone to realise that they can tick the box. You need to keep evidence that you have sent something, because the letters are NOT opened at the office you've addressed it to, but opened sometimes miles away by a firm paid simply to open letters and do the initial sort for them! By sending something which is signed for, you can prove it arrived at the DWP.
OK, the letter is sent

I wrote a letter (copy saved on PC) stating I wished to appeal the decision and asking them also for a full written report on the reasons for the decision. Hubby signed it and Ive sent it 1st class signed delivery Phew.

For those people who dont know our background: hubby gained an acquired brain injury in a road traffic accident 18 years age. He has a scar in his temporal lobe and has uncontrolled epilepsy (absences, tonic/clonic and complex partial) and a fair bit (a lot?) of cognitive impairment although this is rather patchy, seems very contradictory and many people meeting him dont realise to begin with that he is disabled. He had very thorough testing when it first happened at the London Neurological Hospital and Chalfont. He also saw a neuropsychologist who diagnosed the cognitive problems. After this he received incapacity benefit and DLA, supposedly for life, and we have just pootled along ever since.

I dont think I ever received written reports from all these people, only verbal ones and its so long ago now that I doubt that their reports still exist. Hubby has never had a care assessment, neither have SS ever been involved because we were coping - and anyway he is still able to get himself up, washed and dressed (except when hes had a big fit), so what could outside help achieve anyway?

So, you see, its going to be very difficult to provide evidence, although I have booked an appointment with his GP and his neurologist in the hope that they may be able to help. I shall also book an appointment with CAB once Ive had the report from DWP saying the reasons for the decline in ESA.

Sorry to waffle on, but I thought I would explain why we have no written evidence.
well done Crocus!
Well done. I always thought that medical files aren't destroyed until someone dies, so it might be worth writing to the hospitals concerned now, so that you have as much time as possible, asking if they can help, explaining why you need written information.
It's not unusual to have no written evidence Crocus.
But it will all be on his medical records, so you can access it.
Well done for getting it done! Image
Crocus - it's do-able, although it does take a chunk out of you mentally.

I have written about my little saga before. 17 yr old caree, DLA high rate for both care and mobility, lifetime award yaddayadda.

They put her in the WRAG group too. I appealed and won, this was back in 2009. It took 6 months and I had to do it alone as my local CAB were completely useless.
It took a heavy toll on me but bearing in mind I had no support at all, I didn't know CUK existed (seems to be a recurring theme) and the "local" carers group was not really formalised then.
She was placed in the "support" group with the words "it should never have had to come this far" from a DWP employee-she was appalled that I had been through so much. Subsequent events have proven that it was absolutely the right thing for her to be placed in that group and things may have taken a very bad turn if she had been placed in the WRAG.

Main thing is to not give up x
Thanks for your suppoet everyone. Its only the first step, but hopefully Ill be able to do the rest
Well done. I always thought that medical files aren't destroyed until someone dies, so it might be worth writing to the hospitals concerned now, so that you have as much time as possible, asking if they can help, explaining why you need written information.
Because of the vast number of medical records now its not unusual for medical records to be destroyed after 15 years. And the neuropsychologist worked for a trust that no longer exists in a building that has now been demolished Image
I will talk to his GP when he has his appointment with her and ask if he could have another assessment with a neuropsychologist - an up to date one would probably be a good idea as he is having far more problems now anyway. She may also have copies of reports or letters which may be relevant.
I guess that he will have to go to work related interviews (sigh) and if the worse comes to the worse they will soon discover that he cant actually do things.
Not necessarily Crocus, if an appeal is successful he could be placed in the support group.

Thing is that the disability needs to be pretty "full on" for this award to be given, unless somebody has the same issues more or less constantly they don't want to know.
I think you have hit the nail on the head though-unfortunately with some cases they will push the wrong people to do work related activities and it then goes wrong.

I guess in these cases we have to accept that there is nothing really to be done and that the DWP will find out soon enough that the person is in the wrong group.
It is upsetting though. x