[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ESA and Carer's Allowance: the ESA50 form - Carers UK Forum

ESA and Carer's Allowance: the ESA50 form

All about money
Hi folks

Three years ago, I was awarded ESA Contributions-Based after coming to an agreement with my then-employers and leaving work.
Two years ago, I had to complete the dreaded ESA50 (Work Capability Assessment) form and I was placed in WRAG. A couple of months later, my brother returned home to live with us (he has severe learning difficulties and physical disabilities). In spite of this, the DWP insisted that I participated in all of their work programme schemes via ATOS.

I have just received the ESA50 form and I need to complete it. However, how on earth do I explain on there that, because of my caring responsibilities and my health problems (which are complex and will not get better), I simply cannot do a job as well. Sadly, in spite of my own disabilities and illness, I am not considered to be "disabled enough" to get DLA/PIP. I also cannot exist on only Carer's Allowance. I don't get Housing Benefit or any of the other benefits available to people.

I did telephone the DWP and spoke to a very nice man. We discussed the possibility of switching from ESA based on sickness to ESA/Income Support; however, he said I would be better off going through the WCA to start with and then discuss the outcome with the DWP.

Am I the only person out there who gets Carer's Allowance and some form of sickness benefit (not DLA I should add)? I can't be the only seriously unwell person out there who has full-time caring responsibilities? I care for TWO disabled family members but only get paid for caring for one of them. It's terrifying me.
https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/e ... as-a-carer
https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/e ... e-to-claim
These web links may be of help.
Have you had a carers assessment and have your cared for had any assessments?
Contact the Carers UK help line on monday.