[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Employing family members as carers - Carers UK Forum

Employing family members as carers

All about money
Hi,

I'm new on here but hoped someone might be able to help.

My 90 year old father has dementia and heart disease. He needs daily care (in his home) which is provided by myself and my sister. He absolutely refuses to have any outside agencies provide any care, being verbally abusive to anyone outside of the family that visits the house.

As I'm sure people on the forum are aware, this puts a financial strain on myself and my sister. My Dad would like to pay us rather than outside agencies to provide his care. When I looked into this before, I read somewhere that it is possible but that the family members must be registered as employees, not least to pay NI and pension contributions. However when I went on the government website to look at how you go about registering as an employer, it said that if you're not paying an employee more than £120 a week then you don't need to register.

But if I don't register how would anyone know - for example executors of his Will - that these regular payments were for employment rather than gifts? I have LPA and therefore do not want to run into problems later down the line.

Also I should add that if we were to do this, the payments would be coming from the income he receives from his private and state pensions.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
This is a complicated area.

Contact Carers UK directly..

https://www.carersuk.org/about-us/contact-us
Are you receiving any benefits yourself? If you are, it gets a bit complicated. I have a recent article that was in our paper, written by a solicitor, which sheds new light on the subject, and is much more positive than some would have you believe.
Hi,

Thanks for your responses.

Sunny Disposition, ok thanks I will.

Bowlingbun, I'm not in receipt of any benefits but my sister is as she has a child with autism.

Do you have a link to the article?

I think it was on this site that I initially read that you can be employed as long as you do it formally and pay into a workplace pension. That's what really threw me when I saw that for employees paid under £120 a week you don't have to register them. It was around this figure that I was thinking anyway.
No link I'm afraid, it was our local paper.
Ok Bollingbun, thanks anyway.
D_20051 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 2:15 pm
Hi,

I'm new on here but hoped someone might be able to help.

My 90 year old father has dementia and heart disease. He needs daily care (in his home) which is provided by myself and my sister. He absolutely refuses to have any outside agencies provide any care, being verbally abusive to anyone outside of the family that visits the house.

As I'm sure people on the forum are aware, this puts a financial strain on myself and my sister. My Dad would like to pay us rather than outside agencies to provide his care. When I looked into this before, I read somewhere that it is possible but that the family members must be registered as employees, not least to pay NI and pension contributions. However when I went on the government website to look at how you go about registering as an employer, it said that if you're not paying an employee more than £120 a week then you don't need to register.

But if I don't register how would anyone know - for example executors of his Will - that these regular payments were for employment rather than gifts? I have LPA and therefore do not want to run into problems later down the line.

Also I should add that if we were to do this, the payments would be coming from the income he receives from his private and state pensions.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
Hi D_20051,

Welcome to the forum.

As sunnydisposition said would recommend calling our helpline as this is quite a complex situation, our helpline is open Monday to Friday, 9am-6pm on 0808 808 7777 or if you would prefer you can email advice@carersuk.org at any time.

Hope this helps and please let us know if you have any questions.

Best wishes

Meg
Hi Meg,

Thanks, I emailed via the contact on the website. Hope this is ok and look forward to hearing from someone.

Many thanks.
Happy to help, hopefully you will hear something back soon :)

Thanks

Meg
Please can you share the information with the forum, this is an issue for a number of members.