[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Claiming Hospital traveling expenses as a carer - Carers UK Forum

Claiming Hospital traveling expenses as a carer

All about money
Iam asking on behalf of a friend, who has just started caring for a friend. He was made an Appointee by the DWP a while ago and is looking after his friend full time. He goes with him to hospital appointments etc. He was told by someone that he can claim for his own traveling expenses as his friend can't go on his own. How would he go about that? Would he need a letter from GP verifying this? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Hi

I did notice an office at the hospital my father was in and it said something like Patient Travel Expenses.
I took a look at it out of interest as I must have travelled 2000 miles plus by car to and from the hospital as Dad was a patient for over 100 days.
I was also called in a few times when Dad was kicking off.
I was given a leaflet but it gave a maximum amount of money going in to a household to be eligible for transport expenses and my occupational pension was way over that amount.

What seemed a bit illogical was my carers allowance was stopped after 28 days. I was having to put the washing machine on every day because Dad was messing up his clothes and I was spending a fortune in petrol.
Dad could not be accommodated at our local hospital.

Brian