[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Do the DWP know their own rules ? - Carers UK Forum

Do the DWP know their own rules ?

All about money
I am a carer for my mother, and I have just helped her make an application for attendance allowance.

I am currently claiming JSA. I know I cannot claim carers allowance until AA has be awarded, but my understanding of the rules (confirmed by Carers UK) is that I can claim Income Support for up 6 months, or until a decision on AA is made, which ever is the shorter period.

So I have made a claim for IS, and have an interview at the job centre this afternoon. I just had a call from the person who will be interviewing me about why I have not claimed CA. I explained the rules to her, and she seemed totally unaware of them.

I have a feeling this is not going to go well.
You are probably right.
one day in some far off utopian future the DWP will actually know what they're :ohmy: doing - however - don't hold your breath waiting
Well the interview went well. The person I saw had checked up on the regulations and agreed I was entitled.

However she is not sure the people who actually make the decision will be aware the relevant regulation, so we added a note to my claim stating what it was.
well i didn't know about that 6 months, if i had known back 6 years ago when my mum passed on, and was thinking about getting my dad AA sorted i wouldn't have bother with 2 months of JSA hell.
royd wrote:well i didn't know about that 6 months, if i had known back 6 years ago when my mum passed on, and was thinking about getting my dad AA sorted i wouldn't have bother with 2 months of JSA hell.
They seem to want to keep it a secret. If it was not for the adviser I saw every fortnight to sign on telling me I would not have known either.

Carers UK might want to add a note about the rule to their advice on claiming Carers Allowance.