[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
DLA to PIP Assessments Getting Tougher. - Carers UK Forum

DLA to PIP Assessments Getting Tougher.

All about money
I've just tried, unsuccessfully, to help someone with a PIP claim, assessment & mandatory reconsideration.

They've been on DLA with high rate mobility & middle rate care for 3 years albeit just on the basis of the paper application without an assessment.

The outcome of the PIP assessment was that they were refused PIP for both care & mobility which was confirmed after the mandatory reconsideration.

The assessment seemed to suggest that since they lived alone they didn't need care & as they drove a car they didn't have mobility issues.

Has anyone else had the same problem?
My husband has recently had the forms for PIP having been on DLA for life. He needs my help for washing, dressing, food preparation, is subject to falls, can only walk indoors, needs me to do daily physio, can't self-propel his wheelchair......the list goes on but you get the gist. This is a deteriorating disability. On paper he should be entitled to enhanced for both the care & mobility. In reality we are expecting to loose it all including my carers allowance & extra on the tax credits. This will mean I'll have to go out to work as opposed to working part time from home & he will spend all day alone indoors unable to leave the house due to the danger of falling & being unable to get & off his scooter/wheelchair by himself. If he falls indoors he will have to call an ambulance as I won't be there to help & I can't see a boss giving me time off to go & get him up & mop up the cuts & grazes.

Yes, these are getting tougher which is good to weed out the lead swingers but it is hitting the people with genuine needs very hard.
SeasideDeb,

Why are you expecting him to lose it all?

Melly1
We are expecting to lose it all because of other people we know who have quite extensive needs who have lost everything. A friend of my husbands who is an above knee amputation on one leg & is waiting surgery on his other knee went from highest rate mobility to no mobility component at all, despite an appeal. He is now unable to leave the house as they have lost their car, he can't walk as far as the bus stop & can no longer afford taxis. If someone in such obvious pain & need is denied everything why should my husband get it?
SeasideDeb

You may already have this guide but if not it explains the points system for PIP.

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/person ... nts-system
Caranvanj,

The guide appears very thorough and comprehensive.

What did the person you helped score on the self test?

Melly1
Melly1 wrote:Caranvanj,

The guide appears very thorough and comprehensive.

What did the person you helped score on the self test?

Melly1
Sorry for the delay in replying, I've not been going online every day.

When we did the self-test it was over the phone with me asking her the questions & her giving me the answers & me adding up the descriptor scores.

I can't remember ther exact score but she got well over the scores needed for both care & mobility both at enhance rates.

The ATOS score was 4 for care & 4 for mobility.
My son gets middle rate care and lower rate mobility. On paper he should get maximum PIP, but he hasn't been called in and I am not in a hurry to push it because I simply don't want the hassle. Will fight that battle when we come to it.