[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
DLA (lifetime award) to PIP. Any experiences of the medical assessment? - Carers UK Forum

DLA (lifetime award) to PIP. Any experiences of the medical assessment?

All about money
That title wasn't very clear. Ok, my daughter receives DLA care and mobility and has done since childhood, she was given a lifetime award. Well we now know that isn't the case and all those in receipt of DLA will have to attend for an interview or medical.

Does anybody here have experience of this, have you attended along with your caree? Just for the purposes of my question I really need experiences of those who have had lifetime awards, in the higher rate groups.

Thanks.
Hi Ladybird. No personal experience but, an adult friend of mine is on a liftime DLA. She didn't actually attend the interview. When her app came through, she rang and told them that they had made it impossible to put a carer in place to take her etc etc. She managed to keep her lifetime award through substantial medical records and letters etc from doctors and consultants etc. I think she may also have had to fill in some forms herself etc but got help from someone in the know as it were.

Sorry can't be of more help.

Shaz xx
I appreciate the reply Shaz, thanks.

It's a bit of a quandary as our daughter doesn't live with us, she lives in a private hospital for people with learning difficulties and severe behavioural problems.
She's 23 now but when she lived with us (up until 2011) I accompanied her to all appts and can remember the nightmare that was the ATOS medical all too clearly.

I know she is going to get called for medical/interview at some point and my instinct obviously tells me to go along with her but I think that would be the worst thing I could do for her, I guarantee some prat would consider her able to work or something of that nature.
No, I've decided that one of the support staff should go with her when the time comes, that way there is no question of my influencing proceedings. They are best placed to explain about her extreme behaviour, if it were me, I'm sure they wouldn't believe me.
Hi Ladybird. So sorry. It must be really hard for you.

I would hope that the fact your daughter lives where she does will help tremendously. What you have to focus on is what she is like if you take away all her medication and on her worst day. My friend leads quite an active life a lot of the time but take away anyone of her daily meds and it renders her fairly incapable (to you and I) of realistically holding down a job. Another thing to point out would be that any employer would have to be able to accommodate a full time carer to be at work with her too.

Good luck,
Shaz xx
I just wanted to say that I am caring for someone who was given the lifetime DLA award just before they scrapped it. I too when through the appalling ATOS assessment with him and I know that when the next time that he is called for one of these "assessments" comes, he will refuse to attend nor will he allow any of them to come to his home and I can't blame him, I don't ever want to go through that again, it was the most demeaning, distressing, soul destroying experience I have ever endured.
I would say that your best bet is to let the professionals deal with it as it's their job and, at least as far as I understand it, as she's receiving residential care, she shouldn't be asked to attend anyway.
My son has an indefinite or lifetime DLA award I think, at Middle Rate care and Low rate mobility. He used to get High Care but doesn't need night time attendance any longer as he sleeps like a log anyway. When it came to ESA I just sent in some documentation and they never called him for an interview: which is just as well as he looks and behaves well and can present either quite well or quite badly depending on how he feels that day.
scally wrote:My son has an indefinite or lifetime DLA award I think, at Middle Rate care and Low rate mobility. He used to get High Care but doesn't need night time attendance any longer as he sleeps like a log anyway. When it came to ESA I just sent in some documentation and they never called him for an interview: which is just as well as he looks and behaves well and can present either quite well or quite badly depending on how he feels that day.
Scally, as far as I'm aware, everyone who received DLA will be called for assessment for PIP, irrespective of the lifetime award. I could be wrong though :huh:
Now as for ESA, R was one of the ones that got caught 4 years ago in the switchover from Incapacity Benefit to ESA. As Incap was being phased out, I was told to apply for ESA for her. Bearing in mind she receives high rate for both components of DLA, she still had to attend the farcical ATOS medical in person with me carrying her rucksack of meds. Even though they had all the info, when we got there they said she would have to wait much longer to see a doctor instead of the nurse, 2 hours later, R going into meltdown, we were called in. I still remember that Tte doc smiled sweetly at me and said "don't worry my dear, all will be well".

She then awarded R 15 points for continence issues and none whatsoever for anything else, including mobility. :angry:
I battled the DWP for 10 months to get that decision overturned and it nearly cost me my sanity but she was eventually placed in the support group, where she needs to be.
The thing is I so wish she could work but the level of support she would need in place even to this day would make it nigh on impossible..I live in hope though :)

Nem, you know what it's like. As if we enjoyed it, as if we didn't wish that both ourselves and our carees were not in that position..
I hadn't realised that those in residential care were not called for assessment, it is actually a relief.

Thanks all :)
Isn't it madness? My daughter would have to be in residential care if she wasn't cared for at home by me - yet because of this she will be assessed by the DWP's cronies for the benefits she (we) depends upon...
Sarah and my hubby both have lifetime awards and I think they should stay that way and not have to have medicals etc, they were deemed disabled enough to get lifetime so that shouldnt change. Hubby just missed staying on DLA by 7 months of the cut off date :evil:
hi .for the last 2 years the letter that tells us how much malcolm's dla is going up has a extra couple of pages that say he will be invited to apply for pip on or before oct 2015.
i like the way they say invite ,it reminds me of the some of the history i have read about the nazis ,where people where invited along to prince-albrecht strasse for a chat with the gestapo