[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
carer for a friend & staying over affecting benefits? - Carers UK Forum

carer for a friend & staying over affecting benefits?

All about money
Hi all,

I'm a newbie here and in need of some advice, which I'm hoping I can get from someone!

I am currently a full time carer for a close friend who lives 65 miles away - yes, there's a lot of driving involved!

I need to know how benefits would be affected if he stayed over as his health problems have become worse and now needs someone with him most of the time.

Here's the info:

I am a single mum of 2, living in a 3 bedroom house. In receipt of Carer's Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, Child Tax Credit.

I have known the person I care for many years and when his health started to become a daily struggle I suggested becoming his carer. He has no family or friends who could or would give up their time to look after him.

He lives alone in a one bedroom flat. In receipt of DLA and ESA, Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit. He sees a CPN fortnightly at home and is regularly at the doctor.

His mental health is the main concern, but his physical health has also deteriorated. He spends a lot of time up at my house and I go down to his. Because of the mental health problems, sometimes he cannot be left alone overnight so he stays in the spare room at mine, or I sleep in the living room at his.

Is this a problem?

It doesn't happen every day, or even every other day. It is unpredictable. What I need to know is will it affect any of the benefits if he ends up staying with me more often? And do I need to tell anyone about it, if so, who?

You may think he should just move in, but his home is where he lives and mine is where I live. Travelling up and down 130 miles almost daily does put a huge financial strain on things, but I manage.

Any ideas?

All help will be gratefully received!

Thanks in advance

D-M :?
Benefit issues are always difficult, because everyone's situation is different. If you contact Carers UK's helpline, they will be able to go through everything with you. Does your friend get any help from Social Services? Have you had a Carers Assessment? I am concerned about the effect this is having on your children, who must be your first responsibility. How are you going to manage when winter comes?