[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Discretionery housing payment and dla - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Discretionery housing payment and dla

All about money
Did you have to put on the form you smoked and had Sky TV, if so its a bit personal isn't it? Whats it got to do with them what you spend your money on
Asking whether or not someone has Sky or smokes is surely an invasion of privacy?
That's shocking.
The government can do what they like now, check out the news US as something called prism, the UK gov get all the info they need from the US circumvent uk laws, so invasion of privacy is far from whats on there not to do list.
reading that again Gary, if you are paying for Sky because they offer a service that enables you to be on an equal footing with someone who does NOT have a hearing loss, it would surely be covered under the Disability Discrimination Act?
If subtitles are not as easily available elsewhere,then to enable you to enjoy TV,(on equal footing with a hearing person),you need the satellite TV.
Did you have to put on the form you smoked and had Sky TV, if so its a bit personal isn't it?
Well, I guess I didn't *have* to, I could have left those fields blank (or put NIL) implying I didn't smoke/drink nor had Sky TV. But by doing that, that would mean I have more income spare since I'd have less expenditure. Those fields were just two of a list of about 20 in the Expenditure column, including clothing, shopping, laundry, fuel, insurance etc.
Whats it got to do with them what you spend your money on
They need to know what your expenditure is as well as your income so they can work out if you qualify for help.
reading that again Gary, if you are paying for Sky because they offer a service that enables you to be on an equal footing with someone who does NOT have a hearing loss, it would surely be covered under the Disability Discrimination Act?
If subtitles are not as easily available elsewhere,then to enable you to enjoy TV,(on equal footing with a hearing person),you need the satellite TV.
To be fair, Sky isn't the only system now for us deafies for subtitled content. For example, most all new TV's, Freeview boxes and Freesat boxes have the ability to display subtitled content but I have yet to find a system that is as reliable and usable as Sky. I recently tried YouView and their subtitling content is not as comprehensive as Sky, plus I found the YouView recorded programs displayed the subtitles out-of-sync. And no, it wasn't the fault of the broadcaster because I recorded the exact same program on Sky at the same time and the subtitles from Sky was perfect.

So for me, I just have to have Sky but I'm not sure people like those dealing with DHP at the council would agree with it. Image
They are still required to make "reasonable adjustments" for your disability under the DDA though. In your situation Sky could surely count as an "aid"?
They are still required to make "reasonable adjustments" for your disability under the DDA though. In your situation Sky could surely count as an "aid"?
I would totally agree but there is also the small matter of "no legal right of appeal against his decision". Image
That stinks, it goes against all the general principles of our country to me.