Disabled facilities Grant Financial assessment

All about money
Hi,

I/we (my partner and I are thinking of applying for a Disabled Facilities Grant to help with accessing out front door. As it stand the step has a fifteen inch drop and is dangerous for a 75 yo woman with a disability.

But I am given to understand that the financial assessment is very rigorous. We are in receipt of pension credit and have savings below £6,000, but my partner feels this should be enough for an assessment. She gets stressed out when these things come up. What i am asking is, how invasive are these assessments. We would meet the criteria i am sure, but don’t want the stress of a ‘star chamber.’

Any advice much appreciated :)

A
Hi Alan.

Where better to look other than the Disability Grants web site ?

https://www.disability-grants.org/disab ... grant.html

Full sp contained therein.

Would also be worthwhile checking your own LA's web site for their guidance on grants currently available ...
and their assessments requirements.

Bear in mind the post code lottery out there with the LAs as I type.
Thank you for this. Most useful.

What we were hoping to find out, however, was just how invasive the financial assessment is? Just a declaration or will them want the full access to backdated bank statements etc. Not that we have anything to hide, but we bank on the internet and would have to obtain them if simple print outs wont work.

Ty again.
A previous thread assists here :

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support- ... rant-32974

Prepare for full disclosure ... which may well mean certified hard copies ?

Put yourself in their shoes ... ouch ? ... would you be prepared to release monies against a signed form ... with no evidence
of assests / income.

( And yes , I know that was the norm prior to the last crash in 2008 ! )
Alan_190512 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 2:27 pm
Thank you for this. Most useful.

What we were hoping to find out, however, was just how invasive the financial assessment is? Just a declaration or will them want the full access to backdated bank statements etc. Not that we have anything to hide, but we bank on the internet and would have to obtain them if simple print outs wont work.

Ty again.
We had a third party trust out to do my brothers financial assessment, as they were providing the funding for adaptions to the LA. They were satisfied by tenancy agreement as they had to obtain LL permission and my brother was in receipt of HB, so the award letter was enough evidence, as he had been financially assessed as having below a certain level of income.
As you are receiving pension credit, it is possible that you may not need to give full details.
I started the process of applying, (for my wife's benefit) but I was eventually confident (it took a lot of digging to find the figures) that we wouldn't qualify as we're so stinking rich. :roll:

They wanted details of every Savings account, Bank account, ISAs, Premium Bonds, and anything else you can think of, they wanted to know the dates these accounts were opened etc etc. I did collate all the figures, (just in case), but when we had a visit for the assessment it came down to one question:- "Does your wife have more than £23.500 in savings?"

With the answer being yes, we weren't eligible. However, had we been eligible, the amount provided would be on a sliding scale depending on how much we did have in savings - this should tell you, that if you are eligible they will want chapter and verse on whatever you've got stashed away to work out where you are on the scale.
Ayjay, does your wife, not you, have over £23,000 in HER name? If not ask for a new assessment. It is up to the couple concerned to choose whether to be assessed singly or jointly, not HCC!
bowlingbun wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:36 am
Ayjay, does your wife, not you, have over £23,000 in HER name? If not ask for a new assessment. It is up to the couple concerned to choose whether to be assessed singly or jointly, not HCC!
We both have over that figure in savings in our separate names.

It's a mixed blessing, it's nice to not have any financial worries, but it does mean that any major outlay falls on us.

What's especially hard to take is that Attendance Allowance doesn't qualify you for any Mobility payments. Since my wife became unable to walk properly, I've had to sell our car, (hadn't had it long and I usually keep them until they fall apart), buy a new van, install a hoist in the back for her scooter, and subsequently when she became unable to weight bear I had a hoist installed in the front to lift her in as well. The two hoists cost what I received when selling the car, nothing is cheap when you're disabled as you're something of a captive market.

With hindsight, a wheelchair accessible vehicle would have been a better buy. If only you could buy hindsight!
Ayjay wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 12:04 pm
bowlingbun wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:36 am
We both have over that figure in savings in our separate names.

It's a mixed blessing, it's nice to not have any financial worries, but it does mean that any major outlay falls on us.

What's especially hard to take is that Attendance Allowance doesn't qualify you for any Mobility payments. Since my wife became unable to walk properly, I've had to sell our car, (hadn't had it long and I usually keep them until they fall apart), buy a new van, install a hoist in the back for her scooter, and subsequently when she became unable to weight bear I had a hoist installed in the front to lift her in as well. The two hoists cost what I received when selling the car, nothing is cheap when you're disabled as you're something of a captive market.

With hindsight, a wheelchair accessible vehicle would have been a better buy. If only you could buy hindsight!
VAT FREE on any adaptions, every little helps.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-relief- ... disability