[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ESA and carers allowance - Carers UK Forum

ESA and carers allowance

All about money
Hi I'm
Hoping someone can help me as I'm really confused. I suffer from severe depression and anxiety and am getting ESA o have a son who has autism and someone told me I could apply for careers allowance so I did.
But now I've been told that I can have careers allowance but my ESA has gone down they said it's because I'm now receiving careers allowance?? Is this correct? How do they justify this
Any help would be appreciated
Carers Uk has a brilliant helpline, Susie will put a link on for you. Can I ask how old your son is? CUK will check you are getting everything possible.
Hi thank you for your reply. My son is 4 years old
My son was brain damaged at birth, so has severe learning difficulties. He's now 37. We claimed Diability Living Allowance, both care and mobility, from when he was 3 or 4 years old. When you ring the helpline, be sure to ask them about PIP, which has now replaced DLA. Also Google The Family Fund, who can pay for various things, holidays, a washing machine if you have extra washing, etc. Has he had a Needs Assessment and you a Carers Assessment from Social Services? Be sure to do this asap, to find out what help is available. Where are you with Education Assessments? I hated the seemingly endless appointments!
Hi thank you for your reply. He has only recently been diagnosed so we are still having quite a few appointments. I'm just started to receive DLA for him. What I don't understand is why that have cut my ESA because I'm receiving carers allowance as I'm sick my self with mental health issues
Hi Corinne

This is the information you need to get in touch with the Carers UK Adviceline
Need expert advice? You can talk to the Carers UK Adviceline five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.

0808 808 7777
advice@carersuk.org
Open Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm

The Carers UK Adviceline also includes a listening service, there for you to talk through your caring situation with a trained volunteer who understands what you are going through. Available Mondays and Tuesdays, from 9am to 7pm.
If you can’t get through on the phones (lines are often oversubscribed) then send them an email, they’ll usually get back to you within 3-5 working days.

ESA and Carers Allowance are termed as "overlapping benefits" - the Adviceline will be able to explain this to you.
I was terribly depressed when my son was small. I was labelled a "bad mother" as his behaviour was so bad, it wasn't until he was 8 years old that his brain damage was diagnosed. As a mum of a special needs child, it's really important to look after yourself too. Make sure you accept any offers of help from Social Services. Once school starts, find some "me" time.
Hi, I just been awarded carers allowance for help my wife as she has now fall I'll and we need to support both of us now, she is getting carers allowance for me for the past 6 or 7 years so I have now reach a point where we are both suffering and trying to support each other . My reason for asking for help is are we in titled to extra money for looking after each other through my esa income based? Was told I could only get extra money because your partner is a carer but can not get for me being a carer is this correct?. B) B)
John, this is a question for our helpline, the benefits system is very complex, but the helpline know all the rules, thank goodness. The phone line is busy, so email them instead and they will get back to you with a good reply, usually within a week.
Thankyou for you reply will contact.