disability related expenses

All about money
Hi,

Does anyone claim these as part of their financial assessment with direct payments? Apparently councils and social workers are ignoring the care act 2013 because they expect your DLA or PIP to pay for expenses for your disability.
Hi Pipsy.

DLA / PIP are designed to pay for some of the " Costs " of diability ... albeit no one will say the current rate is enough.

What expenses had you in mind ?

Independent Lives ... on disability relayed expenses vis-à-vis LAs ... usually funded through Direct Payments if one qualifies :

https://www.independentlives.org/disabi ... -explained

Postings and threads elsewhere will reveal the meltdown in LAs nationwide , with reports , almost daily , of the provisions
of the Care Act 2014 being ignored ... I will post a few links if required.

The failure of the said Care Act is now accepted by carees / carers alike ... but not by our supporting organisations.

Therein lies the problem ... we know first hand !!!

Just let me , and others , know if the above assists ?
I'll try to find the relevant references for you when I get a chance. It's a simple question, but not a simple answer.

Have you already had a Financial Assessment?
Did they give you a WRITTEN explanation of how they arrived at the figure they want you to pay?
That's the starting point. Find the paper and then share what they have allowed for already, not the amounts.
It's not for me its for someone i care for who gets an individual budget from the LA, however DRE wasn't explained at the time nor was the carers input given. It was all streamlined to get the cheapest private care company to take over rather than really understanding the needs of the person.

I was reading this website it opened my eyes I didn't know something like this existed.

https://dpac.uk.net/2015/05/disability- ... claim-for/

Also, I was watching Caroline appeal using a solicitor Irwin Mitchell to claim expenses:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh7Uryvwux4&t=43s

This is also in the USA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a40eDzjfB6E
If you Google "Charging for Care" you should find a section on financial assessments, working out the contribution someone has to pay the LA for their care. If you have disability related expenses, i.e. chiropody, extra laundry etc., they should consider these as part of the assessment. The aim is that you should always have a certain amount, it used to be £140, to live off after expenses.
How they calculate Direct Payments is different from this process.
Hi Pipsy.

Link you posted to the Disability Living Alliance mirror images the link I posted to Independent Lives.

Both contained valuable information and guidance ... including the issues mention by BB.
pipsy wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:34 pm
Hi,

Does anyone claim these as part of their financial assessment with direct payments? Apparently councils and social workers are ignoring the care act 2013 because they expect your DLA or PIP to pay for expenses for your disability.
It's usually the finance section who deal with this aspect, as DRE is in relation to client contribution rather than the actual direct payment.
The list of DRE is not exhaustive, I have had family members contribution reduced due to diligently listing all of his DRE. From fuel costs, to internet...annual scooter service, insurance for scooter. Costs Adaptions to motability vehicle, lifeline, extra laundry, cleaning, gardening.
The trouble is our LA adjust annually for benefit uprating which seems to wipe out the manual DRE calcs so I am forever chasing up and getting it adjusted again.
I just provide receipts and explanation of incurred DR expenditure.
karma wrote:
pipsy wrote:
Hi,

It's usually the finance section who deal with this aspect, as DRE is in relation to client contribution rather than the actual direct payment.
The list of DRE is not exhaustive, I have had family members contribution reduced due to diligently listing all of his DRE. From fuel costs, to internet...annual scooter service, insurance for scooter. Costs Adaptions to motability vehicle, lifeline, extra laundry, cleaning, gardening.
The trouble is our LA adjust annually for benefit uprating which seems to wipe out the manual DRE calcs so I am forever chasing up and getting it adjusted again.
Thats great news your actually getting it did you have to fight for it or did your LA offer you it?
Generally I would say I have a running battle with HCC, but the man from the Financial Assessment Unit is very pleasant and very helpful. This is the one area I never seem to have a problem! My son has allowances for his special diet, extra laundry, and recently his client contribution has been reduced by over £20 a week so that he can pay me when I take him to and from his flat for weekends home.
pipsy wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 6:17 pm
karma wrote:
pipsy wrote:
Hi,

Thats great news your actually getting it did you have to fight for it or did your LA offer you it?
The first time 6 years ago, the finance people came out and the lady was very helpful, (she was ex welfare rights) and gave me suggestions of items, she also said try for everything, so long as its receipted and you have explanation I send the details every year as its paper based annually directly to LA finance and have done for the past five years, its always made a big impact to my brothers contributions. So I guess I fight for it every year.