[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Council Tax Exemption or Disregard - Page 4 - Carers UK Forum

Council Tax Exemption or Disregard

All about money
She did appear to class me as a carer and accept that I was on the "Disregarded people" list, bowlingbun. However, that issue over 'exemptions' and 'disregarded people' (within discounted people) seemed to be rearing its head again.

Although I am 'disregarded' I'm not 'exempt'.
Yes, I do claim carer's allowance now.

I didn't for the first 3 years of mum's diagnosis but I was still her only carer.
David4 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:33 pm
Yes, I do claim carer's allowance now.

I didn't for the first 3 years of mum's diagnosis but I was still her only carer.
She did appear to class me as a carer
Send in a copy of your carers allowance.
Do you mean a copy of the account of where this benefit is paid into, sunnydisposition? Or is there a 'hard copy', so to speak? I'm not the most organised here, with one thing and another. I might have to send off somewhere for that evidence.

David
Ideally, the original copy when you received you first carers allowance. And/or your annual ones. Otherwise you might need to provide a copy of the payment into your bank account.
Hello sunnydisposition

I doubt I'll be able to find the original copy here but I think even I could find a copy of the account that the benefit is paid into.

It's odd they should even want a copy though as I'm the only person who deals with social services. Also, the woman I spoke with yesterday and the Revenues Officer of the Council Tax Team seemed to accept my role as mum's carer.

I wonder if this means that those who are either too uncomfortable in their roles as carers or simply too ashamed to claim Carer's Allowance face this sort of issue regarding Council Tax regularly?

Best wishes, David
It's worse than that, some don't even know that the term "severe mental impairment" means learning difficulties or dementia, and tell people they are not entitled when they are.
In fact the SMI exemption must be one of the most hidden benefits there is!
I've now helped people claim back thousands that they are rightly entitled to. Council employees are there to do their jobs, make sure that people pay the RIGHT Council Tax, not avoid paying by telling lies due to ignorance, or to save the council money.
I hadn't heard of SMI until just now.

I thought I was being noble when I didn't claim Carer's Allowance (my pleasant GP years ago told me about it - "It's yours, you're entitled to it"). It was only when the Job Centre wanted me to work, care for mum and suffer from epilepsy all at the same time that I decided to claim it. They treated me like filth when I arrived for an interview.
Our local job centre was horrible to me too, I wasn't asking for money, just to get a letter copied and certified by them.
The staff should be trained by custom officers, who judging by the programmes I've seen on TV are completely non judgemental. Just doing their jobs professionally.
On my third visit I was shown to a waiting area by a fairly pleasant guide. Then I heard "He's early, he'll have to wait" shouted out by the official in the 'soundproof' booth. (I was relying on public transport because I couldn't drive anymore due to the epilepsy.) On the first visit, this official had assured me that loudly barking about my epilepsy was inaudible to others because of the booth we occupied.

On my second visit someone had shouted for me from somewhere behind covered desks - no one had bothered to show themselves. I was left wandering around.

It was my third trip that convinced me to stop being a martyr.