[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Council Tax Exemption or Disregard - Page 6 - Carers UK Forum

Council Tax Exemption or Disregard

All about money
The woman on the phone told me to send in an email for a clearer explanation. I'll do that.

I think how they're trying to sidestep the issue - assuming there is one (and I think there is) - is simply by directing the tax on to the property and not the people living in it. That's fine, but why bother with all those 'disregarded people' who are 'exempt'? I know this helps to describe the type of property but it seems unsuccessful in its very purpose.
I've very inexpertly trawled through a lot of legalese today and I'm still none the wiser.

I must agree with the Carer UK's representative 'E' who believes that "the confusion comes from exemptions and discounts which are distinct" and it's "dwellings rather than people" that are exempt.

In our domestic case, I think my being the carer invalidates the exemption for mum even though I'm "not counted". Because your son, bowlingbun, lives alone, he is exempt.

A very, very poor explanation in "a plain English guide".

It's a pity Citizens Advice aren't still available to talk with face to face but I'll still send the council here that email.

Thanks to everyone, David
Very interesting read. I went through a similar process in September.

Cannot remember all the terminology but finally got to the 50% conclusion (which I believe is right/ fair).

Even to get the 50% was a battle as the majority of staff seems totally oblivious to the regulations.