[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Can I claim any benefits? - Carers UK Forum

Can I claim any benefits?

All about money
As many of you know, I had to give up my job to look after my son. This has put us in quite a precarious financial situation.

I have got my head around housing benefit and council tax benefit, and now have that coming in. My son's application for PIP is currently with Atos, so goodness knows how long that will take.

Just wondered if there was anything else I should be thinking about. I have just sent off for a tax credits form, but wondered if that was the right thing to do. Surely I should be doing something to protect my NI contributions? I know tax credits don't do that. I already have the full 10 years from claiming child benefit, but now I am worried that this "break" I have had to take due to my son being ill is going to muck up my state pension (if the still exist by the time I get there :shock: ).
If you were claiming Carers Allowance, you should be getting "Home Responsibility Protection" credits, HRP. This would be a good time to make sure they have been added correctly to your NI record, as I found, repeatedly, that they were not being added to my own record correctly, when I had been receiving CA.
I don't get carers allowance BB. Should I?
Hi BB /Stephanie

I'm glad this has come up to remind me- I don't pay NI at work because of low earnings and I've never had a piece of paper from CA unit saying I ma getting any credits - I suppose I hopefully assunmed this was automatic. Like you I am keen not to have a gap in my employment history should there be any state pension left by the time I get there!
Stephanie, if you go to the top of the page there is a "Help and Advice" tab. You will find some details of who can get CA - a general requirement is that you are caring for someone in receipt of either DLA (or AA for over 65 carees). It depends on the benefits your son is receiving, and whilst he is in hospital, you would probably not be eligible. I suggest you ring the Carers UK helpline, because under certain circumstances, someone can be physically fit (my M is fit as a flea!) but still entitled to DLA because of the amount of support and supervision he needs.