Council Tax

All about money
As a full time carer for my disabled wife I have always been exempt from paying council Tax.
Now that it has been localized I have just been sent a bill for £95.
Looking on their website under who is exempt I find - (Someone caring for somebody with a disability who is not their husband, wife or partner or a child under 18).
Can anyone tell me if this is legal, as they are saying I can look after a complete stranger in my home but my wife does not count?
I am on carers allowance and income support.
I think you're confusing council tax exemption with council tax benefit which was awarded to those in receipt of a means-tested benefit such as income support, pension credit etc.

The recent change in the regulations means that people who previously got a 100% council tax benefit now have to pay a proportion of council tax.

Council tax exemption merely specifies who's regarded as not counting towards occupancy for council tax single person occupancy purposes. These exemptions haven't been changed.

https://www.gov.uk/council-tax/council-tax-exemptions
Good Morning all,
I have just had my council tax statement in and I have noticed that I now will have to pay the council tax again.
Whilst being a carer I was having my council tax paid for me but now it seems that there has been a change of heart and now I am going to lose a chunk of my already meagre allowance every month.
Has anyone else had this happen to them.
I feel really put on by the Government and the council as I know that if I put mother into a care home that it would cost a lot more than they are paying me.
And here I was starting to feel better about myself as well and to top it all off we are snowed in.
I have to pay 30 a month , iv phoned and checked and its the right amount. Its just wrong. Having to juggle even more bills x
Ok I'm baffled now I just received a bill today for council tax is this something we have to pay now coz the councils are hard up ? And what the heck do I pay £100 a month to the council for.Its getting harder and harder to keep being a Carer I think.This government and these councils are taking more and more out of our pockets.
I completely agree, they're taking more and more every year. We received our letter a week or so ago now, just out of the blue no warning. With my mum having mental health problems it made her panic beyond belief. Were paying £2.67 a week rather than the full amount of £157. I know to others who pay the full amount of like £1000 a year or more would say "oh its not that much, why are you moaning!". But we have limited money as it is without bits and chunks being taken out here and there for extra stuff the government 'claim' they can no longer afford to help with. Foods going up along with all the other bills that rise every year, so another bill is like salt rubbed into an old wound Image
As a full time career and not entitled to anything I have been paying full rate
council tax for years so you get used to it Image well somebody's got to pay it
and we don't get anything for it only the bin man
I agree and if they continue to make it harder for us to live then what's the alternative.......... Let the government look after them but a lot of us have been carers for so long we could not get a job.
We had 3 topics running on the same subject - Council Tax

So I've merged all 3 to keep it all in one place Image
As a full time career and not entitled to anything I have been paying full rate
council tax for years so you get used to it Image well somebody's got to pay it
and we don't get anything for it only the bin man
Yes, me too. I don't get carer's allowance or anything, but although retired, I still pay a fair whack of income tax & will till I check out.

I know it may seem hard to those who used to get 100% of their council tax paid but they will still get a fair amount of it paid, unlike you & me who get nothing.

I often feel like Atlas with the world on his shoulders!!