Compliance interview and undisclosed savings

All about money
Hi Alan

Have you tried contacting Age UK - I would think that this scenario is not a new one to them !
Alan: The simplest initial action seems to be to write, as you suggest, stating that you've discovered an error in your claim, being that you had more than the threshold at the time of application (and since), apologise for the error, and wish to reimburse the overpaid amount, which you believe is the total paid.

In this case there would be no point in DWP asking for proof of savings at the material time(s) as you've stated the total received was illegitimate. Simply say you had more than whatever the limit is (£10k?) and were mistaken in applying at all.

I assist and advise my hospice patients in claiming PC and disability benefits (I'm a chaplain), and I know that plenty under-claim (through error) and well as over-claim. Some simply forget they've had savings for years, or have lost statements and guess as can't get out to banks, etc.

I'd have thought that DWP would be satisfied in having the money back without costly bureaucracy in seeking sanction. If you ask them to advise you of the sum of overpayment you can settle this by cheque, or card over the phone.

I hope it all goes smoothly...

Best wishes,